cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Location Change on MacOS 12.6

Dropbox Location Change on MacOS 12.6

OldMacGuy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Just installed DropBox update v157.4.4808 on a MacbookPro 13,3 running MacOS 12.6.  DropBox location was moved by installer to ~/library/CloudStorage and alias moved from "Favorites" to "Locations" in sidebar.  DropBox support doc "https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-faqs" says new location due to change in MacOS.  HOWEVER, installed same DropBox version on an iMac 18,3 running MacOS 12.6 and the location did not change!  DropBox alias remains in "Favorites".

Anyone else run across this discrepancy?

Anyone have an idea as to cause of this discrepancy?

72 Replies 72

mf88
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Dropbox will simply stop serving my needs if this change is forced without a workaround. And I, too, have been a customer since the early days.

It seems like they’d have a financial incentive to solve the issue, too. First, to keep us as paying customers. Second, even if it was viable for me (it isn’t) to keep only a small fraction of my data locally and the rest stored online, it would cost them more in bandwidth to constantly be serving my large files to me. Better for them to have me storing most of it locally, right?

I guess I’m most shocked by “Walter” needing to ask a customer in this forum why such a need even exists.

geoffroy_vincens
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've been using dropbox for the last ten years.

I don't care about the desktop app, I would gladly get completely rid of it, I only use dropbox in the finder.

I don't use Smart sync neither, nor do I use any of the new features bloat, I just want to keep using my dropbox like in the early days, as a simple and reliable backup and file sharing solution.

I don't want to change my Dropbox folder, it is a massive regression and I'm dumbstruck to discover just now the app tries to force that on me, and I'm very disappointed to spend my evening on this forum looking for answers.

Is it safe to not update the desktop app while keeping the basic functionality of the service ?

Thanks.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all, thanks for reaching out about this.

As part of the Dropbox for macOS update, the Dropbox folder must be located in ~/Library/CloudStorage.

Some other things to note about the Dropbox folder location:

- Changing the location of your Dropbox folder is no longer supported by macOS. 
- Due to the change of the Dropbox folder location, files that were previously linked in some third-party applications may need to be linked again.
- Storing your Dropbox folder on an external drive is no longer supported by macOS.
- Your Dropbox folder in Finder will now be found under Locations and no longer under Favorites.
- Individual folders can be moved from your Dropbox folder to Favorites for quick access.

We hope that helps!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mf88
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Megan With respect, how is that copy-and-paste job supposed to “help”, exactly? It comes across as though you didn’t read or didn’t understand what was being discussed. It actually seems a bit insulting to us users.

Is the Dropbox team completely oblivious to the problem raised here in this thread?

How about, have someone knowledgeable explain why the change was necessary (if it, in fact, was), and also tell us if there is any hope for those of us with less than 2TB internal storage to continue keeping a full local sync of our 2TB Dropbox account? That’s all we are asking for.

geoffroy_vincens
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

That doesn't answer any of my questions and is in fact a copy of the article that was linked in the update window of the desktop app.

So, no that doesn't help at all.

podusa
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Agree again with mf88.

They (Dropbox) keeps dodging the question of WHY this change is necessary and if it's permanent?

I'm sure Dropbox-team know very well that this is going to be a "big thing". Are they forced to do it? If so, for what reason? Is it a technical issue?

(I just can't be...it's 2022...really?)

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey all, and thanks for writing back.

As with any operating system, macOS is updated regularly and with that we must keep the Dropbox desktop app aligned with any requirements set out by an OS.

Keeping aligned to those requirements ensures that the Dropbox desktop app will provide the best possible experience for all our customers in to the future.

We’ll be sure to pass your feedback along to our Product team.

Thank you.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

mf88
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

With respect again, @Megan, how are you going to “pass our feedback along“ if you don’t seem to understand what it is that we’re discussing? We’re not offering “feedback” as much as we’re asking a question about the future usefulness of the product itself. Clearly, no one that Dropbox has assigned to interact with this forum is able to answer.

I don’t think that any of us here are interested at all in the Dropbox desktop app. I think we’d all prefer if it wasn’t even there. We use Dropbox passively in the Finder as we always have. We have large, paid Dropbox accounts, and the majority of us have internal drives on our Mac that are smaller than our 2TB Dropbox storage. We have always been able to keep our entire Dropbox synced locally by way of an external drive. Now we're being notified that a change in this functionality is being forced upon us, and we are asking whether or not this change is permanent, so that we might be patient for some amount of time with Dropbox to develop a workaround before we cancel our paid Dropbox accounts and look elsewhere.

If you want “feedback,” here’s some feedback: There is a lack of explanation and transparency from Dropbox as to why this change is necessary (if it truly is). There needs to be more clarity to your customers. There is also a clear lack of expertise demonstrated by their representatives in this forum.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @mf88, I hope it’s OK to jump in, too. 

I can understand your frustration on this matter.

If that’s alright, we can log a ticket instead and have our support team further assist.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Chris R.34
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Or perhaps you could point us to the MacOS documentation that says you are not allowed and are not able to make the content elsewhere on the machine?  That seems to be the implication from Meghan's statements although we often find that such broad statements are interpretations.  Which is why, I think, people have been asking both "why" and "what does the Dropbox team plan to do" about our need for the old features (described earlier).

Need more support?