cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Log Files

Dropbox Log Files

td47
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

While looking for something else on my 2 Windows 10 PC's, I noticed that there are several hundred log files located at the path:

C:\ProgramData\Dropbox\Update\Log

These range from 2018 dates to current, and sizes from 800K to 2K. As these are NOT normal text files, and I cannot see any options within the Dropbox program itself to read these, please explain what their function is. As  see NO sync issues, I assume that I can get rid of them, as it seems pointless keeping them, unless of course there is some sort of "telemetry" that Dropbox is doing, that we, as users do NOT KNOW ABOUT?

It would be really useful if your product had an option to delete this "log history", say over 1, 3, 6 or 12 months old files, in a user setting, to stop this unnecessary clutter.

34 Replies 34

SuzanneT1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

You've been very kind and I truly appreciate it.  I've worked with a lot off apps and this is the first one I cannot delete logs.  I like how the app works but I don't want my laptop being filled with logs I cannot control.  I know it's just a small log file but eventually it will not.  I think I'll consult my other IT firends to see if I'm missing anything from the last information you provided.  Have a great week.

sodaspop
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

For years, after a DB update, I get in an ProgramData folder update log files and in an AppData Local, other log filed that contain either Chinese or Japanese characters.  (NOT the file names, the file content)  They used to be 400+K in size, loaded with these characters.  Of recent time, they are about 5K.  A search on line for info reveals NO returns about this.  What are these files and why the Asian characters?  Am I the only one getting these?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @sodaspop, happy Tuesday! 

Would you be able to send me a few screenshots of these logs, in order for us to have a visual of this too?

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

td47
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@MeganIf you read this post from the begining, you will see what this isue is actually about. The issue with these repeated and unwanted log files is why OTHER users are complaining about the same thing. That is, log files building up, that become very old if not deleted, and the DropBox product does NOT do any cleanup.  I would therefore guarrantee that the post you are askinf gor information about is EXACTLY the same issue that I originally reported, and these files will be at the path:

C:\ProgramData\Dropbox\Update\Log

You can go to ANY Windows 10 PC with Dropbox installed, and go to that path  with File Explorer and see for yourself.

sodaspop
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have screenshots and an actual file. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n975qcfb7k8z4mx/AADdMsUgb8Jt2qI6iTqzDH9Ga?dl=0

When DB runs, the 10MB .tmp file is created in the AppData number 1 or 2 folder.  After DB closes, that file is replaced by a 312KB no extension file (attached)  Open that with Notepad.  Been doing this as far back as I can remember.  Am I the only one who gets these strange files?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @sodaspop, thanks for this, but would you mind attaching the screenshots directly to your next reply here?

To do that, click on the little camera icon right above the reply box.

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sodaspop
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

DB1.jpg

DB1A.jpg

I also have an actual file of screen shot

DB2.jpgDB3.jpgDB4.jpg

sodaspop
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I've been doing searches for years trying to find out why Dropbox update logs in [c: ProgramData Dropbox Update Log] path contain regular log files , but also creates 2 folders containing Japanese or Chinese characters, and I'm not referring to the files names, but the file content.  The 2 folders are named 01 and 02 and are in [{user} appData Local dropbox Logs] folder path.  These Asian character files used to be about 450K in size.  Lately, they are smaller, like 5K, but still appear.  I often delete the regular log files and these strange ones, but over time, more appear.  Searches for this issue yield zero results.  Can anybody help?  I can supply files or screen shots.

td47
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@sodaspopThe reason the files have odd characters, is they are compressed or encoded in a proprietary format that ONLY the Dropbox app or its install routines understands. I see NO use for them, as they can be quite old unless you manually delete them. They are NOT readable for users, with any known app, and there is NO normal text (plain-text ) in them.

sodaspop
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It just seems like a lot of work to create a file format using Asian characters (I don't know Japanese from Chinese) rather than encrypted binary.  And in this case, since it's so unusual (I've never seen it used before), you'd think DB would have a searchable FAQ that explains it.  First time I saw it years ago, I thought, "Is that some kind of virus?"

Need more support?