cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app (121.4.4267) opens Finder window (Big Sur 11.3.1)

Dropbox app (121.4.4267) opens Finder window (Big Sur 11.3.1)

pedalgirl
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm not panicking, yet.

Turned on Dropbox back up.  Sync'd Downloads, Documents and Desktop to dropbox - then read more about the feature.  

Decided that I did not want to use it, for reasons unnecessary at this time.

Opened the App, turned off syncing, but too late - all files up on Dropbox, and ghost/locked folder icons on my Mac.

Overnight, auto update to 11.3.1, restarted Mac.  Desktop files do not display on desktop, but can be seen in Finder > Desktop.

Now > Dropbox app (121.4.4267) opens Finder window (Big Sur 11.3.1), does not launch the actual App. Therefore I truly cannot turn off the back up, or move my files from Dropbox back to my Mac per https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/computer-backup > Choose Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac

Tried downloading new version of App, but it's trying to download to my Dropbox, which doesn't have enough room. 

Help please, anyone?!  

thanks a bunch in advance.

23 Replies 23

Madc18
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, I am having the same issue and it's very irritating. 

I want to open the Desktop app but it opens on Finder. 

The preferences on the menu bar are not helping. 

Tried logging in and out and still nothing.

This is very frustrating!

Worst of all no email, chat, or phone number for customer service.

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 6.24.19 PM.png

robhfs
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

same issue here dropbox app opens finder not the actual dropbox app, nothing previously mentioned worked, installed and reinstalled dropbox, sync is working fine, no options under "General". trying to use the dropbox app because the finder search bar doesn't seem to see anything in dropbox, empty search results even when I can see the file in a separate window.

Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 18.05.55.png

Inis C.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Same issue here running Catalina and DB 141.4. Opens DB folder in Finder, but doesn't open app. Now useful option in DB menu / General. Fix it, Dropbox.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@Inis C. - this is an intentional thing by Dropbox. Sadly. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Inis C. Helpful | Level 6
    robhfs Explorer | Level 4
    Madc18 Explorer | Level 4
    lexig New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?