cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox daemon downloader freezes at 90+% on fresh Linux Mint 21.1

Dropbox daemon downloader freezes at 90+% on fresh Linux Mint 21.1

Fifis
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Good afternoon!

I cannot install Dropbox on the freshly installation of Linux Mint 21.1 because the downloading of the daemon freezes after 91% or 93%. The download becomes unresponsive, and a python3 process takes 100% of one core. I have to kill it manually. Sometimes, it hangs the entire system. There is no .dropbox or .dropbox-dist folder in the home yet.

On the same machine, on the same Linux Mint 21.1 (that I have been upgrading from 18.3 gradually), it was working without a hindrance.

Console log:

Starting Dropbox.../usr/bin/dropbox:303: PyGIDeprecationWarning: Since version 3.11, calling threads_init is no longer needed. See: https://wiki.gnome.org/PyGObject/Threading
  GObject.threads_init()
/usr/bin/dropbox:453: PyGTKDeprecationWarning: Stock items are deprecated. Please use: Gtk.Button.new_with_mnemonic(label)
  self.ok = ok = Gtk.Button(stock=Gtk.STOCK_OK)
/usr/bin/dropbox:458: PyGTKDeprecationWarning: Stock items are deprecated. Please use: Gtk.Button.new_with_mnemonic(label)
  cancel = Gtk.Button(stock=Gtk.STOCK_CANCEL)
/usr/bin/dropbox:348: DeprecationWarning: setDaemon() is deprecated, set the daemon attribute instead
  t.setDaemon(True)
/usr/bin/dropbox:334: PyGIDeprecationWarning: GObject.idle_add is deprecated; use GLib.idle_add instead
  GObject.idle_add(self.loop_callback, *ret)
	Killed

System information:

Kernel: 5.15.0-67-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 5.6.7
    tk: GTK 3.24.33 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy

How can I proceed with the installation of Dropbox?

Yours sincerely,

Andrew.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Fifis
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello!

Frankly, it must have been a heisenbug. I rebooted many times, downloaded the headless version, came home, retried... and the good old `dropbox_2020.03.04_amd64.deb` worked and is now syncing perfectly. It shall remain a mystery forever why it was not working... sorry for not being able to reproduce the problem, so it is solved now.

Maybe in the future, one may need to do something about the 'deprecated' warnings:

Starting Dropbox.../usr/bin/dropbox:303: PyGIDeprecationWarning: Since version 3.11, calling threads_init is no longer needed. See: https://wiki.gnome.org/PyGObject/Threading
  GObject.threads_init()
/usr/bin/dropbox:453: PyGTKDeprecationWarning: Stock items are deprecated. Please use: Gtk.Button.new_with_mnemonic(label)
/usr/bin/dropbox:458: PyGTKDeprecationWarning: Stock items are deprecated. Please use: Gtk.Button.new_with_mnemonic(label)
/usr/bin/dropbox:348: DeprecationWarning: setDaemon() is deprecated, set the daemon attribute instead
  t.setDaemon(True)
/usr/bin/dropbox:334: PyGIDeprecationWarning: GObject.idle_add is deprecated; use GLib.idle_add instead
/usr/bin/dropbox:344: PyGIDeprecationWarning: GObject.idle_add is deprecated; use GLib.idle_add instead
  GObject.idle_add(self.on_done)

After it reached 100%, it started loading the fq extensions without a hindrance. Thank you for your prompt reply!

Yours sincerely,

Andrew.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Fifis,

Try following command:

cd ~ && curl -L https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64 | tar xzf - && dropbox start

Is it working now? 🤔

Hope this helps.

Fifis
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello!

Frankly, it must have been a heisenbug. I rebooted many times, downloaded the headless version, came home, retried... and the good old `dropbox_2020.03.04_amd64.deb` worked and is now syncing perfectly. It shall remain a mystery forever why it was not working... sorry for not being able to reproduce the problem, so it is solved now.

Maybe in the future, one may need to do something about the 'deprecated' warnings:

GObject.threads_init()
  t.setDaemon(True)
/usr/bin/dropbox:344: PyGIDeprecationWarning: GObject.idle_add is deprecated; use GLib.idle_add instead
  GObject.idle_add(self.on_done)

After it reached 100%, it started loading the fq extensions without a hindrance. Thank you for your prompt reply!

Yours sincerely,

Andrew.

steve m.5
Explorer | Level 4

I had the same problem today, 18th July, and the same solution worked for me.

Need more support?