cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox files are different on each computer and different again on the website

Dropbox files are different on each computer and different again on the website

Deb P.4
New member | Level 1

I also need to speak to someone as the faqs dont apply. We pay per month, but I don't think it's the business plan. What do I do? It is worse than not having a dropbox facility when all three sites (two computers and the dropbox website) show different files and different versions of files. do I have to give up on dropbox?

4 Replies 4

David I.12
New member | Level 1

I am having the same problem. I update Dropbox on my PC's desktop. Then, on occasion, will take my MAC laptop to Starbucks, log-in via the Dropbox website and the files are old and not synced at all. Have read through all FAQs and have yet to find an answer...
Same issue on my iPhone too.

Emily T.4
New member | Level 1

Another user here with the same issue. I too am finding this, both on two machines accessing the same account, and also with files I am trying to share with another account. With the latter, this can be on the same physical machine. But, not found an answer anywhere yet.

Deb P.4
New member | Level 1

I wonder if Dropbox will provide an answer. The only alternative will be to look elsewhere if they can't provide the service promised (and paid for!).

David I.12
New member | Level 1

Here's the step-by-step answer I got and it worked:

Here is a list of things to check, starting with the basic and moving to the more advanced. I know the list is long but take each step one at a time.

Remember that computers sync with the website and not with each other. You should compare computers to the website to see where the disconnect is. Once you know which computer isn't syncing then we can focus our attention on the correct place.

1. Is Dropbox running on your pc?

Look for the Dropbox icon in the menu bar (Mac/Linux) or system tray (Windows).

https://www.dropbox.com/help/141

If you don't see the icon then Dropbox is not running. Restart it from the Applications folder (Mac) or Programs Menu (Windows/Linux). You also need to be logged into your Dropbox account for it to sync. If you log out or turn your computer off then Dropbox can't sync.

1. Are the files actually in the Dropbox folder?

The Dropbox folder is just a normal folder on your computer and the Dropbox software only syncs files in the Dropbox folder. Whichever files you move or copy into the Dropbox folders are copied to our servers. If you copy a file into the Dropbox folder then only the copy is synced and not the original.

1. Check the sync status.

Hold your mouse over the Dropbox icon to see the sync status. It may show you an error message, or just tell you that it's still working.

Likewise, make sure you are not over quota. If your quota usage is over 100% then syncing stops.

1. Make sure that no programs are editing files in the Dropbox folder.

Dropbox is unable to sync some types of files left open in certain applications. When this happens, Dropbox will report that the "file is in use" from the Dropbox desktop application menu.

Some software, like Microsoft Office, places locks on files while they are open and being edited. The feature avoids conflicts that can occur if the file is edited, moved, or changed from another computer. This lock also prevents Dropbox from accessing and syncing the file.

To allow Dropbox to sync these files, you'll need to save and quit any applications where the file is open. Once you do, Dropbox will fully sync the files.

For more information on files in use, see the Dropbox Help Center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/52

1. Check for illegal filename characters.

If files exist on a Mac but not on a Windows system then it possible that the problem is that you have an illegal character that Windows doesn't like. Renaming the file to remove any restricted characters should fix things for you.

You can check for conflicting file names yourself here:

https://www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check

You can learn more about which characters are restricted here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename#Reserved_characters_and_words

Also, Windows has a limit of 260 characters for the entire file name. Everything from the C: to the file's name needs to be 260 characters or less.

1. Upgrade Dropbox on your computer

If you aren't already running the latest version please install it. You can get the latest version from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/install

This release has all of the latest bug fixes. Even if it doesn't fix the problem it may provide better debugging to help identify the problem.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

David I.12 New member | Level 1
    Deb P.4 New member | Level 1
    Emily T.4 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?