Apps and Installations
Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.
I have Windows 8.1 and use classic shell. The Dropbox icon keeps disappearing from the system tray. I followed the instructions for keeping icons in the system tray, but it does not work. I use the option Nofification Area icons. The check box to show all icons and notifications in the taskbar is checked. However, the icon disappears. For version 3.03
I solved my problem by re-installing dropbox app found on this link:
I found a link "download the dropbox app" and installed it on top of the existing installation and everything is now working fine again.
I wrote the initial problem and couldn't get it fixed. So I decided to work at getting the answer as it was really upsetting me.
Here are the steps to follow:
The small white arrow in the System Tray indicates that some icons are hidden. If the arrow is missing, that means that all application icons are shown.
If the small white arrow is not in the System Tray, follow these steps:
1. Right-click the System Tray > Properties.
2. Under the Taskbar tab, click Customize.
3. UNCHECK Always Show All Icons. Now the small white arrow will appear in the System Tray.
4. Click OK twice.
5. Now launch www. Dropbox.com.
6. The Dropbox icon will appear in the System Tray!!!! (Now we need to keep it there.)
7. Right-click the System Tray > Properties.
8. Under the Taskbar tab, click Customize.
9. In the list of applications, locate the Dropbox application. Click Show Icon and Notifications.
10. Click OK twice.
11. The Dropbox icon still appears in the System Tray.
12. Close the Dropbox website.
13. The Dropbox icon is still there!!
I hope I remembered all the steps. Good luck!
I'm running Chrome on a MacPro...no arrow in system tray, no Dropbox icon (which I need to click to get to preferences so I can unlimit my upload speed) and right-clicking up there has no effect. Me? Man, I just want fo get my upload speed to something *close* to the 75% Dropbox promises...very frustrating...
I was having the same/similar issue and icon did not show up either, on a PC.
1.- I open the 'Windows Explorer' and 'search' for Dropbox.
2.- I clicked the application in order to open it and, voila, it came up, and it is loading as usual.
I guess it may be the same on a MAC. Try then to Applications and open Dropbox from there, on a MAC!
Hope either Charlotte's (gave me the full hint on how to proceed!!) or mine help!
On Windows 7 Dropbox stucks: no window, no tray icon, though I can see the process in TaskManager. I reinstalled it many times, cleared his data folders, switched off from server
For more info on available support options, see this article.
If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!