cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox indicates 'downloading xx files' _forever_

Dropbox indicates 'downloading xx files' _forever_

Kris J.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dear community,

I have a perfectly correct Dropbox installation, no noteworthy issues with illegal filenames and I have performed all possible kinds of troubleshooting.

Even so, every so often, mostly when migrating to a new PC, Dropbox will become stuck in an eternal 'downloading' session.

Screenshot 2018-09-04 09.45.00.pngWhat bothers me is perhaps not that this happens but that there is apparently no way to check _which_ files are problematic.

It is bewildering to see that the Dropbox desktop client does not offer any kind of decent user-accessible logging or other type of error reporting that would empower end-users to resolve these issues.

What gives?

How can I see which 322 files are problematic in my particular case? Drilling down through thens of thousands of files in the hopes of finding one with a sync issue indicator is really not an option.

Thanks,

Kris

11 Replies 11

sehamel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for the response,

Unfortunately I got annoyed at this before your fix and I reinstalled and re-linked my account to the desktop app.  It took all night for the computer to rebuild the database and sync, but it fixed the problems.  It did create a handful of "sync error" duplicate files because I had worked on them on another computer, but not too big a deal.  

If there is a next time, I'll try your suggestion first.  Thanks.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me here @sehamel!

That's a shame, but I'm glad to hear that everything is sorted now. :grin:

If there's anything else that I can help with, don't hesitate to give me a nudge here. I'd be more than happy to help.

I hope you had a great weekend!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    sehamel New member | Level 2
    Kris J. Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?