cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox is compatible with Ext4 but doesn't recognize ext4 drive?

Dropbox is compatible with Ext4 but doesn't recognize ext4 drive?

Axiom2018
Helpful | Level 6

So, like most Linux users, I've gotten the message about needing to upgrade to an ext4 drive. I had an extra drive in my machine with nothing on it so I formatted it to ext4. I rebooted then went into my prefs to change location and it tells me:

To sync your Dropbox, move your Dropbox folder to a partition with a compatible File System. Dropbox is compatible with Ext4.

So, when is an ext4 drive not an ext4 drive?

I'm using v55.4.171

51 Replies 51

AminSadeghi
Helpful | Level 6

Oh, I see. Are you saying that they've fixed it?

Axiom2018
Helpful | Level 6

There has been an upgrade in the software so I think they did

AminSadeghi
Helpful | Level 6

Hmm. It's strange since I still can't set the target directory to be /media/mydrive/Dropbox. Do you have any clue how I can get around it?

Axiom2018
Helpful | Level 6

Did you try competely uninstalling, grabbing the new files and installing fresh then letting it update?

sorican
Helpful | Level 5

I don't know what he's done, or hasn't done, but I've got a fresh installation of debian that I've been trying to move the storage location of, and it's giving me the same error.

I've got dropbox installed and operating, but I get the error when I try to move the storage location to...anywhere, even if it's just from /home/me/thisisstupid/Dropbox instead of just /home/me/Dropbox. (although I'm trying to move it off the 32gb eMMC and onto the 1tb hdd.)

EDIT: I've found a solution (read: handed a solution by a very helpful guy on stack exchange) for my particular problem. Specifically, dropbox uses extended file attributes, and needs to have user_xattr added as a mounting option in fstab.

Credit where credit is due, here's the post by TelCom that gave the solution.

might help others here, but I dunno.

jupblb
New member | Level 2

I still had troubles with moving the Dropbox directory (from ~/Dropbox to /data/Dropbox) so for now I just did `ln -s /data /data/.here` and passed the symlink to the app. Works for now but I'd like to see this fixed in the future.

AminSadeghi
Helpful | Level 6

@sorican The fix you posted didn't work for me. I added user_xattr to my fstab for the drive I want Dropbox in. Is there anything else I need to do?

AminSadeghi
Helpful | Level 6

@Axiom2018 For starters, how do I update Dropbox in the first place? I downloaded Dropbox from here and then installed it. The current version reads 59.4.93. Is that the latest? and if not, how do I update it?

Axiom2018
Helpful | Level 6

I installed the 64bit version, once it was installed it said something about updating and when it was done, I had version 59.4.93. I didn't do anything else.

ltomov
New member | Level 2

I was getting the same error when trying to move Dropbox into /media/lacho/Dropbox (that folder uses ext4, non-encryptfs).

So I used another folder /opt/lacho/Dropbox and this time is recognized it. Both folders have the same fs, but I guess Dropbox seems to have some issue with /media.

And this happens on Linux Mint with the latest .deb installation (59.4.93).

The only issue I have now is that when moving it actually created one more "Dropbox" folder, so the path is now /opt/lacho/Dropbox/Dropbox which is very ugly, but when i try to move it to one folder up, it says "unsupported fs" once again. 

Need more support?