cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox on OSX10.12, obsolete OS.

Dropbox on OSX10.12, obsolete OS.

bobjtls
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am looking for a way to continue to use Dropbox on OSX10.12.

I have been informed that support for 10.12 is being dropped and the dropbox app will no longer work. I know I could upgrade for but financial reasons, I can not do so as there are some other applications I would have to upgrade which is prohibitive for me at present.

Does anyone know if I access my dropbox folder using a browser, say at the end of the day, whether changed files willbe automatically sync'd?

If not, as I suspect, how are others handling this situation?

I am looking at replacements and have a free Sync account which seems to work in a similar fashion but I would have to buy larger disc space to replace dropbox. One thought I had was to maintain dropox for files that change rarely and use sync for my active files.

All advice and guidance appreciated.

bobj

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bobjtls
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Just an update to my dropbox on OSX10.12 issue.

I have found a workaround.

oDrive

This is a similar product to dropbox but you can use it to sync dropbox content between computers, as well as other file sharing services such as google drive. In fact you can use it to sync all file sharing services at once.

So, I have a free oDrive account linked to my dropbox folder.

I install the oDrive desktop app on my OSX10.12 computer. Now Any changes I make to the oDrive view of dropbox automatically gets synced to dropbox and hence is available via the dropbox app ion my iOS devices.

This also work in reverse, any change to dropbox in iOS is synced to my oDrive dropbox on OSX10.12.

Hurrah!!!!!!!!

bobj

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @bobjtls, let's jump right into this! 

As you mentioned, on June 27th 2023, the Dropbox desktop app will no longer work on any Mac device running macOS 10.12 or older.

If you don't want to or cannot update your operating system, all your files will still be available through other compatible computers with supported operating systems, through supported mobile devices, and on the Dropbox website. 

As for Sync, and how you can work and collaborate with Dropbox, I'm going to keep this thread open so that other users can contribute to this, and share any ideas and info with you.

If you need anything else, let me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

bobjtls
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Megan

not very helpful I must say. All you did was to parrot back the email I received some weeks ago.

I did ask specific questions, namely:

1. does the browser access support automatic uploading of only changed files rather than having to select files manually?

2. Anyone got any other work arounds?

Having dropbox access on other computers is less than helpful unless I manually copy changed files across to the other computer(s).

bobj

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @bobjtls, the browser is not like the Dropbox desktop application. It will upload any files and folders you send there, even if the file is identical, so it doesn't just upload files that have changes. 

Additionally, bear in mind that the requirements to use Dropbox on a browser is to have the two most recent versions of the browser. If you're running an unsupported OS, it's possible you might not be able to upgrade to the latest browser version, and so might experience some issues accessing and using the site normally.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

bobjtls
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks Jay, had not even thought about the browser version.

more and more of a problem.

bobj

bobjtls
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Just an update to my dropbox on OSX10.12 issue.

I have found a workaround.

oDrive

This is a similar product to dropbox but you can use it to sync dropbox content between computers, as well as other file sharing services such as google drive. In fact you can use it to sync all file sharing services at once.

So, I have a free oDrive account linked to my dropbox folder.

I install the oDrive desktop app on my OSX10.12 computer. Now Any changes I make to the oDrive view of dropbox automatically gets synced to dropbox and hence is available via the dropbox app ion my iOS devices.

This also work in reverse, any change to dropbox in iOS is synced to my oDrive dropbox on OSX10.12.

Hurrah!!!!!!!!

bobj

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bobjtls Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?