cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox won't open but says it's open so I can't uninstall

Dropbox won't open but says it's open so I can't uninstall

Blain B.
Helpful | Level 5

Setup a new user in Mac High Sierra. All works fine except Dropbox. I open it but no window appears. I try to delete it so I can set it up again but it won't move to the Trash because it says it's open. I have made sure it is not in Log0n Items and it doesn't appear in force quit.

I've tried going back to a previous user to delete it but same problem. I've made sure both users have all permissions. What else can I try to delete it and reinstall?

Someone else posted that the answer is in HKEY_USERS{SID}\Software\Dropbox, but I have no idea how to get to that and web search revealed nothing.

12 Replies 12

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @ScottTexProp,

Make difference between application window and disk folder. :wink:

Open the file explorer see what you can find out there. Also, while trying the action again, close any other open application (after save current work).

Hope this gives some direction.

ScottTexProp
New member | Level 2
I’ve already did that and uninstall and reinstall 3 times. Luckily I saved all my files on external HD.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Ok @ScottTexProp, You have a backup so may be the easiest way is to remove the Dropbox directory completely. Open Windows file explorer and using Ctrl+L key combination focus changes to address line. Clear the line and paste there "C:\Users\Userp" (without quotes, of course) and push Enter. After that, locate the Dropbox folder below and remove it permanently (mark the folder after that press Shift+Del and finally confirm the removal). An alternative could be in a terminal window just type "rmdir /s /q Dropbox" (again - without quotes and without change the current working directory, which have to be: C:\Users\Userp). After that try install and see what error message appear, if any. :wink:

Need more support?