cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: End of support for OS X 10.4 and 10.5

End of support for OS X 10.4 and 10.5

Matthew S.
New member | Level 1

Why pull support and remove functionality? Why not just drop support -- just stop updating the app but still allow basic functionality? There are still a lot of legacy machines that are still in use and CANNOT upgrade to 10.6, as they are PowerPC based. Yes, old systems still work. Why stop the app from working totally instead of just deprecating support for those systems?

281 Replies 281

Daniel R.3
New member | Level 1

As an owner of two G4 Macs, I beg you not to do this Dropbox! Please reconsider this decision to pull support. I rely on Tiger support for my work and without it I'll be forced to choose a different cloud storage service.

Tom C.2
New member | Level 1

One of my personal Dropbox-linked machines is still running Windows XP. I notice I haven't gotten any "We're going to pull the plug in XP" message, even though it's six years older than OS X 10.5 and was retired years earlier than Leopard, as well. So age is no excuse. For the record, the Windows machine is hardly ever used now; my PPC Macs are used every day. If Dropbox PPC functionality is ended, I will not get a new computer to keep Dropbox (does someone at the company actually believe this will happen?). I'll just stop being a Dropbox user.

Richard Schletty
Collaborator | Level 8

Here is a lame answer I got today from Dropbox support.

Aubrey, Jan 21, 2:19 PM:

Hi Richard,

Thanks for writing in.

We are sorry about any inconveniences that the changes in the system requirements to run Dropbox on your computer may have caused to you.

We regularly release new versions of the Dropbox application with additional features, better performance, and security enhancements and these are not always compatible with older systems, like in this case, with the version of OS X that you are running.

Please note that you will still be able to upgrade the operating system on your computer to continue using the Dropbox application by following these instructions:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/51/20120908/manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1172/en_US/Snow_Le...

Or simply access your files in Dropbox from other compatible computers, mobile devices, and from the Dropbox website.

Again, I really am sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Aubrey

Here is my original note to Aubrey:

Richard Schletty, Jan 21, 12:35 PM:

Dear Dropbox,

Please read this thread and respond. There is an outcry.

Pulling support for Mac OS 10.4 & 10.5
https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/communities/public/questions/201983215-Pulling-support-for-Mac-OS-10...

From a marketing standpoint, it is a very bad idea to end functionality/connectivity for Mac OS 10.4 and 10.5 users, many of whom still operate robust G4 and G5 PPC Macs. Why not keep the legacy Dropbox Desktop Client for Mac connected? Why are you going to disconnect this client app? We need a reason or rationale.

Legally, can you drop support for machines and software that are considered "old" by you but "essential" by your clients? This seems like a failure to deliver services. Not a single Dropbox rep has taken the opportunity to answer concerns. Is this a security issue? A third party licensing issue? What gives?

Thank you.

Richard

tommaso a.
Explorer | Level 3

What irritates me is that they keep pretending to ignore that ppc machines cannot upgrade to OS X 10.6.

Robert C.2
New member | Level 1

Please don't drop us!!! We are unable to upgrade some of our Mac computers but really need our Dropbox!
If we upgrade our Macs, we won't be able to use our older printing equipment! A $100,000 investment. Older printing equipment has older print drivers that cannot be replaced. We have grown dependent on Dropbox, have referred new users to Dropbox and have been loyal to the platform. WE'VE SUPPORTED YOU ... PLEASE FIND A WAY TO SUPPORT US!

Ramsey F.
New member | Level 1

There is still a lot of productive work being done on PowerPC Mac computers. These computers cannot upgrade past Mac OS X 10.5.x because that is the last revision that supports the PowerPC processor. While I can understand why you don't want to include support for these old computers in new versions of Dropbox, please do not turn off the old apps. Let them run in a sort of legacy mode. Syncing files and offering links.

Mike R.10
New member | Level 1

I agrre,too! PLEASE RETHINK STOPPING SUPPORT FOR MAC PPC !!!!!

Mike R.10
New member | Level 1

I totally agree!
PLEASE RETHINK STOPPING SUPPORT FOR MAC PPC !!!!!

Jack S.1
New member | Level 1

I am quite thankful that dropbox supported us (powerpc) until now but I would like to ask that you keep supporting us. It is quite difficult to believe that there is a technical reason that allows dropbox to execute in 10.6 but not in 10.5. May be it is better to say that it is a pain to maintain a version for few old users. It that case let me tell you that:
1. We are not so few
2. It is not us who does not want to upgrade, it is Apple who does not allow us to upgrade.
3. The link you provide to upgrade to 10.6 is incorrect. Actually the instructions are quite easy. Drop your working computer to the trash and expend $2000 in a new mac just to do exactly what you were doing before.

Jean-Bob I.
New member | Level 1

I agree completely with you.. I think it is a bad decision to stop supporting the Powerbook with Tiger. The Powerbook is still one of my favourite laptops to use and Dropbox has always been very important to me to synchronize data with my other PC's ( with Linux and yes, also with XP which stays supported)

Need more support?