cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Migrating dropbox paper to new version

How could I get Dropbox Paper 2020?

neosmile
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

How could I upgrade to Dropbox Paper 2020 from the older version?

73 Replies 73

aggalix
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
@Elliott C.1 Yeah, it’s nuts! I forgot to emote my unhappiness and frustration about the silence and lack of progress this time. Hehehe. 😛

Speaking to customer support has been pretty fruitless. Nobody’s empowered to say anything except regurgitate the authorized scripts.

i suspect the real answer is “there’s no money in this so we’ve abandoned the idea of migrating people – but we’re going to be dishonourable because we fear that this information could affect our financial value.”.

But good news… one of us could apply for this job… And actually finish what they committed to two years ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/jobs/listing/4408724

All I want is to store my project notes in the same folder as the project, instead of using the old filing system which feels like it’s designed by an 8 year old with a very simple life! 😂

Steve J.5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

They have provided timelines on this at least twice—an initial date in 2020, and then a date in early 2021.  Either would have been acceptable.  Now they are completely silent, refusing to give an update or anything.  It's like they don't either don't know how to do it, or they don't know how to tell us they aren't doing it.

martis880
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sorry to bother, I know this was a long time ago, but how did you go about copying over your dropbox paper files to a new account?

Are you opening each shared paper document, and then copy-pasting into a new paper document that you created in the new account?

Or are you doing some sort of bulk operation that is faster?

ybh
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is much more than completely ridiculous. 

It's way passed Q2 2022, and still no sign for the g** da** upgrade. 

Is it even legal for Dropbox to sell an improved version for new customers for the same price as they sell it for old customers that have a worse version? 

aviva
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I've gone back to using Google docs. It's improved a lot in the last year or so, and I get the feeling Paper isn't really progressing anywhere.

Julien B.12
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It's now september 2022, ans still no access to Dropbox 2020 for legacy users. It has been more than 2 years since it is impossible to work with Dropbox Paper alongside recent Dropbox users. Please please please Dropbox, do something about it!

AntonioP
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I seem to be on the pre 2020 dropbox paper account where all my docs are arranged in paper.dropbox.com. i need to collaborate with another user who has migrated and all their .paper docs are in their dropbox folders. as a result we cant see each others stuff in shared folders. 

how do i migrate my account to the new 2020 version?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@AntonioP wrote:

how do i migrate my account to the new 2020 version?

You can't migrate to the newer version yet. New accounts get the new version. Dropbox hasn't started migrating existing accounts to the new version yet.

harrysfil
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

2022 and still waiting for dropbox paper 2020. At least change the name to paper 2029

Joe Drafter
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is the most stupid thing Dropbox could have done. I mean not upgrading everybody at the same time!  Over 2 years of transition if absolutely unacceptable. Through all my frustration, I found a temporary workaround:

My partner is on the 2020 release and I'm not. First, my partner created a Paper document and put it into a project share folder. (No need to share it because it's already in a shared folder) Everybody can see the .paper document. (I couldn't create that file without the 2020 release) When I need a new document, I duplicate that file, move it to wherever I want, rename it and reformat it.  That's how I can use Paper like a 2020 release without having it.  

For the document that already exists, I had to copy-paste the content from the old to the new document....   for each one. I was lucky, I had just a few.

I hope this will help someone and calm some frustrations. 

However, my deception toward Dropbox is unrepairable. 

Need more support?