cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: System Restore Win 8.1

I get an error message that Windows System Restore failed?

Richard P.44
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi

When I run Windows System Restore it fails with this error message

System Restore failed to replace the file (D:\Users\*******\Dropbox\.dropbox.cache\qebcobkqbgbzfynfuwbof\placeholder.bat) with its original copy from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during restore. (0x80070780)

I have completed system recovery from an image without problem but on several occasions I have come up against this error when trying to correct a problem using system restore which would be easier to use if I could. I still have the problem if I run the system restore in safe mode with the same failour message

Any suggestions on allowing the restore to work

Richard

142 Replies 142

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi Everybody,

Thanks to everyone who has reported this. We are currently investigating this system restore issue and require a bit more information from affected users.

Does this error message completely prevent system restore? Has anyone been able to proceed with the system restore in spite of the error message?

For those who cannot proceed with the restore after receiving the error message, does the system restore simply fail/quit as a result of the error?

If anyone has been able to proceed with the system restore after receiving this error message, how has the restore affected your Dropbox files?

Regards,

Ben

WhyItsAProfile
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It's been 4.5 years since this issue was reported - is there really not enough info here? Does Dropbox not have a QA department?

On reflection, that would explain a lot, and really reinforces that I need to stop using this product....

Mrtatemyballs
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
No one has been able to restore their system except those who manually edit their regedit to remove the Dropbox folder from their system restore.

However for the average user this is way too difficult.

When the issue happens your system is bricked. You have to do a full re-install of Windows to proceed.

greg0422
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Ben, to answer the questions:

1. Does this error message completely prevent system restore? Has anyone been able to proceed with the system restore in spite of the error message?

A: Yes, the error completely prevents system restore. The restore point file is useless.  If the computer is unable to boot, then a complete OS wipe and install is required to get running again.

2. For those who cannot proceed with the restore after receiving the error message, does the system restore simply fail/quit as a result of the error?

A: Yes, system restore fails and quits. No system restore is possible, unless there is a restore point that was made PRIOR to the installation of Dropbox.

3. If anyone has been able to proceed with the system restore after receiving this error message, how has the restore affected your Dropbox files?

A: Nobody has been able to proceed with system restore under normal circumstances. It has been reported that a registry edit prior to creation of a restore point will enable the user to create a restore point that works temporarily.  However, when the restore point is overwritten with a more recent one, the registry file causes a problem again. The only solution would be to manually create restore points every week or after any system updates.

I've submitted the issue to Microsoft via the Feedback Hub, but there has not been any response.

RicPennell
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Ben

Confirm Greg0422 reply is correct - I’ve never been able to run a system restore since I first raised this issue 

My only work around is to make regular system images and use these if I need to go back to a previous version. Very time consuming but does ensure that I can return to a previous version

If you are actually looking at this then that would be really good

Richard P.44
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Also the accepted answer at the start of the thread isnt correct - it didnt work and should be removed

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi @greg0422 @Mrtatemyballs and @RicPennell,

Thanks for your quick reply, and for confirming that this is the case. The team investigating this issue requested that we confirm that system restore was failing entirely, and this info will help us move forward with a resolution.

@Richard P.44 You're right. I have removed this as an accepted answer.

I will update this thread when I have more information!

Regards,

Ben

greg0422
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Ben,

I have just run some tests, and this issue might not affect Windows 11.  At any rate, I wasn't able to repro the issue on Windows 11.

I'm in the process of testing on Windows 10. I need to install all the updates first to see if Microsoft has fixed it in an update.

I initially had the issue on a Windows 10 computer.

haendy-freak
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ah great, just found out that apparently I ran into a major bug that apparently was dormant in dropbox since years. Just wanted to recover with a system restore point from a bricked windows 10 (probably due to an update or so) just to realize, that the restore point is blocked by drobox...

I hope you'll also find a recovery method for computers that are bricked!

DWolfson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
At least it looks like Dropbox gives a crap now — hope they come through.

Maybe windows 11 bailed them out though.

Will be interested to see what happens
Need more support?