cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can you COPY dropbox folder to an external hard drive? If so HOW?

I need to copy (not move) a Dropbox folder to an external hard drive.

dukeeastwood
Explorer | Level 3

Very simple..

Can you COPY dropbox folder to an external hard drive? And when I mean COPY, I mean make a COPY... as in making a backup of the entire dropbox onto a large external har ddrive.  If so HOW?

There is no clear answer on the internet... which makes me wonder if it's possible... and if it is, why is it so hard to figure out how?

16 Replies 16

dukeeastwood
Explorer | Level 3

Really it doesn't matter... dropbox shouldn't be COPYING something JUST to be able to download it...it's  stupid... JUST DOWNLOAD THE FILE

If I want to backup 13 TB of data , HOW CAN I DO THAT? It would require this pile of garbage app to copy 13 TB of data... taking up 13 TB of space that cannot be used JUST to "offline" the files... THEN I would have to cop and paste 13 TB of files USING another 13 TB of space... 26 TB and two copies of the files just to have one separate copy of those files.

I swear... how does no one there see the problem with this??????

How hard is the concept of "download to selected folder"?????????

This app is basically worthless because of this... it's absolutely infuriating. I Don't see how people aren't complaining about this EVERY SINGLE DAY!  And I don't see how the support seems to not understand why this is the worst workflow imaginable for a storage backup company.

This is one of the greatest cases of incompetence I've ever seen in my life. I don't see how dropbox is in business.

Calvin2DBX
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dukeeastwood 

Sorry if I'm still missing something, but just a thought:

1. Use the steps I gave you to move the Dropbox folder, to a hard drive that can fit what you want to work with, i.e. 13 TB of data
  2. Let the files download fully (make them "offline")
  3. When it's done, sign out of the desktop app.

After you sign out from the app, you'll have all the content you made offline in one place that you chose, no duplicates, and no chance of anything being deleted in Dropbox.

Let me know what you find.

Calvin
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dukeeastwood
Explorer | Level 3

But THEN... those files are IN a dropbox app folder... I need them NOT in a dropbox app folder.

K which goes back to my orginal request... If I KNEW what folder the "offline" files were located I could access those directly... take THOSE and not deal with the app... but no one seems to know where that folder is. And the thing is... I KNOW I've used that method before... yet NO ONE , including you professional support people, seem to know where the folder with the offline downloads resides.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dukeeastwood, the Dropbox folder itself is where the files are being downloaded to when you make files available offline. There isn't another 'offline file' location which is what you're expecting from your description.

If you're not sure of the location of your Dropbox folder, you can locate it using this method.

Once you've found the Dropbox folder, and that the files have a green syncing icon on them, you can copy the files to an external drive.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dukeeastwood
Explorer | Level 3

Why can't any of you see the problem with that?????????

That means those files exist IN a dropbox app folder... I can log out and move them... then if I log back in the app will sync with the app again... and I have seen ON THESE FORUMS that that results in files doing missing.  If I leave them in the folder... they are always in a dopey drop box folder.... this is infuriating!

Calvin2DBX
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dukeeastwood,

The Dropbox folder is designed to be a two way portal for anything you want in your Dropbox account and on a computer.

If you copy from the Dropbox folder, you can set the original in the Dropbox folder to "Online", after, which would all but instantaneously stop it taking up any space.

Is the the end goal to have the entire Dropbox account copied onto an external hard drive, and be able to make changes on the external drive without deleting or changing anything in Dropbox? 

Signing out of the app will leave a Dropbox folder that can be moved, renamed, copied — all without any changes reflecting back to the account.

If you prefer to keep the app connected and keep using it to sync, you can set items to be ignored on the computer so changes made won't reflect to the web.

For more on how to do that, please check this out: https://help.dropbox.com/sync/ignored-files

Let me know if that might help!

Calvin
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dukeeastwood
Explorer | Level 3

No no no... you continue NOT to listen... so here's yet ANOTHER problem...

if you online something and then copy and paste it... say 1 tb.... it STILL will take hours to paste that much data.... meanwhile if this app was designed by people with working BRAINS... the ability to download something INTO a location would save that time...

In all seriously... what is the phone number for dropbox offices?

I need to contact directly... I'm so sick of you people acting like what I'm saying doesn't make any sense.

I will fly to where you are and explain this to you if I have to.

Need more support?