cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipad and Iphone viewing of long file names

Ipad and Iphone viewing of long file names

Shawn V.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Our company is having the issue that on the mobile app (using the ipad or iphone) often times the file name is too long to properly view what we are opening. I want to be able to read the entire file name so I know what i am opening since many of the beginning and last parts of the file are exactly the same for filing purposes so I want to be able to view the file name without having to open each one in order to find out. I'm hoping I make sense. Is there something I'm missing where I'm able to do this? I can't "right click" on the file name cause I'm mobile otherwise I would try that 🙂

114 Replies 114

Ian_A6
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I completely agree. Dropbox is so good in many other respects but this is an issue that's it's almost impossible to believe that they can't fix.

Amazon Drive is extremely good as well and their iPad app doesn't suffer from this. The only problem is that, last time I used it, there was a wierd file duplicating issue where MS Office would create a duplicate file because the Amazon Drive sync process left the file being sync'd in memory and Office therefore thinks there is duplicate file. Odd!

If that was fixed it would be just as good as Dropbox.

Dmoulton
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Wow. Still not fixed.

Ian_A6
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Let's be honest - it's not getting fixed. Dropbox clearly believes that the current iPad format is the right one. there's no way that after this long, they're "working on it". 

That said, surely an option to view full screen WOULD be a great, customer-friendly thing to do. 

mindat
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm involved in a big book project and the layout will be miserable to complete with easier to access full file-names. Is there another company that shows long names? I can change cloud providers.

Ian_A6
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

The only one that I know for certain shows the full file name fullscreen on an iPad is the Amazon Drive app.

The downside is that it isn’t free if you’ve got quite a lot of files to store and I did have some jiggly syncing issues with it but I think it’s definitely worth a try you can use it effectively as a trial for free 

Bit
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

"Everybody can still can use the old DOS 8-characters format... " maybe this is what Dropbox thinks about this issue, that incredibly has not been fixed still today, after years... and yes, that's really incredible, I agree with everybody...

msskatRHI
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
CRITICAL ISSUE!!! so bummed to see this issue has been unresolved for 3 years. our company has all the same issues. 36 Business users, LONG file names starting with dates, LOTS of files and can't find them quickly or easily on iPad. preview pane should be adjustable width and have ability to just turn off to allow increase of space for file name. hardly something we thought of when considering a company-wide move to dropbox for business. and yet such a critical detail that slows us wayyy down, defeating the streamline/mobile/easy-sharing features dropbox offers. c'mon dropbox!!!

Sam A.19
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Open Dropbox with the App “Documents” from Readdle

You will see Full length Filenames

and you will be able to open Files just as in Dropbox

Sam A.19
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Open Dropbox thru the App “Documents” of Readdle

You will see long Filenames

You will be able to open files just as in Dropbox

MrMXF
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

>open files just as in Dropbox

No quite. It's down to the app integration to be able to open the document in word / powerpoint / adobe / other.

Dropbox has the linkage but readdle shows the filenames. My workaround it to use readdle to identify the file and then to open in with the correct app in dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kimmo J. New member | Level 1
    Mariedb Dropbox Staff
    Ian_A6 Collaborator | Level 9
    Debashish D. New member | Level 2
    Richard-Judith New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?