cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to disable the sync icons on files in Explorer?

Is it possible to disable the sync icons on files in Explorer?

Mr T
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

How can I disable the overlay icons, that are showing the current sync status of dropbox in the explorer? I need them for other applications that I am using. Windows 10 can obvioulsy only handle 15 icons, but the most of them are used by dropbox per default.

The only solution I found is to delete the registry entrys of dropbox in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers, but they were obvioulsy installed again automatically. This is getting really annoying :triumph:.

Is there a possibility to disable these icons anywhere in the dropbox settings? I did not found an option for it. The only icon that would be helpful is the green "sync OK" icon, the rest of it is not relevant for me. Can I maybe modify some kind of *.ini file e.g. of dropbox to get rid of the useless icons?

13 Replies 13

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for taking the time to post to our Community today, @L. M.1.

We really appreciate your feedback about this.

I will personally make sure that your comments are passed along to our team.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Have a great day!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

L. M.1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

If this was a new topic then I would accept your response. However, multiple users have requested this many, many times before and DropBox has never done more than a polite "We hear you". Do you really?

Please explain why this option has not been incorporated years ago, and there are multiple pages on this. However, because of how you update they are not robust.

https://superuser.com/questions/1193399/how-to-stop-showing-the-dropbox-green-checkmarks-across-ever....

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/content/en-us00688417/#:~:text=Right%2Dclick%20the%20Windows%....

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/Is-it-possible-to-disable-the-sync-icons-on-f...

https://www.tenforums.com/customization/190302-change-remove-dropbox-sync-icons-explorer.html

A few examples (there are more).

jonobo
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Exactly. We PAY for your product. This overlay issue has existed for years now. It interferes with version control overlays which are much more important for my company. It is unacceptable that this hasn't been fixed yet. This may seem trivial to you, but we are looking into different options now.

L. M.1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It is worse than "not fixed". If you use the standard methods to remove them, e.g. delete or change the Registry entries, DropBox will recreate them. Therefore there is no question that they know about this and have deliberately chosen not to fix it.

Related, they have also recently (I think) added entries to the Right-Click-Mouse which are only added after DropBox starts. Similar, this is deliberately forcing the customer.

The  customer is right, except with DropBox?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

L. M.1 Explorer | Level 4
    jonobo Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?