cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The Library>CloudStorage folder ...

Is the Library>CloudStorage folder, still an obligation or is that not relevant any more?

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

A few months ago, I was forced to nest my Dropbox folder in the Library>CloudStorage folder.  It seem to be a new Apple procedure with Ventura.

Yesterday, when adding again my desktop to Dropbox and still on Ventura, Dropbox asked me to put it's folder wherever I wanted just like before.  

Is this the new way of doing things ?  Which is which ?  Is the Library>CloudStorage folder procedure not required anymore ?

I would also appreciate to understand the advantages/necessity of migrating to the File Provider  API ?  I read some articles on DropBox help and I am confused.  Do I need to keep both or is only the new one that I nested where I want required ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to jump in here, @rlesperance!

It sounds like you were able to choose the location of the Dropbox folder after you disconnected the computer from your Dropbox account and then reconnected it.

This is shown in the article that Megan linked above, about the new experience for macOS on File Provider.

To address your other questions, while we recommend updating to the latest version of Dropbox for macOS on File Provider, the update isn’t required for you to continue using Dropbox. 

If you’d like to keep your Dropbox folder on a different drive, you can stay on the version of the Dropbox desktop app you’re currently on. 

Make sure to check out this article for more info.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @rlesperance, thanks for posting on our Community!

Can you please let us know your device's exact OS version and the version and status of the Dropbox desktop app installed there?

Also, where's your Dropbox folder located at the moment as per the sync tab in the app's preferences?

When it comes to your last concern, I'd suggest that you start from this Help Center article that outlines the expected changes.

In any case, please keep me posted on your findings and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am using OS Ventura 13,5,1 on an iMac (2019).  As for the status, it is installed and working but ... there is a but.

Like I said, when adding back the iMac to the Dropbox allowed devices, Dropbox did not use the previous Dropbox data that, in the recent past, has been forced to be nested in Library>CloudStorage folder.  It asked me to specify where I want the Dropbox folder.

So my question is is the Library>CloudStorage folder, still an obligation or is that not relevant anymore ?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @rlesperance, we're still rolling users to the new experience for macOS for File Provider

However, I'd like to ask if you installed Dropbox on a new device, or if you signed out and then back in to the already existing installation.

Could you walk me through the exact steps you followed? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello Megan,

Sorry my previous explanations seems incomplete.  As a starter, can I suggest you to read again my above previous comments.

I am a long time Dropbox user.  I have a basic account, so I am limited to 3 simultaneous active devices.  On the road, I sometimes have to disconnect my desktop (iMac Intel 2019) from Dropbox.  A few months ago, when reconnecting my desktop to Dropbox, I was forced to move the Dropbox folder to the

Library>CloudStorage folder.  I understood that this request was required and related because I was running OS Ventura.  At that time, File Provider was not an offered setting (or did I miss something ?).

A few days ago, while reconnecting my desktop to Dropbox after a few days on the road, I was offered to place the Dropbox folder wherever I wanted. 

I have tried to read about File Provider and I am a bit confused about this topic.  Reading has not cleared out the questions for this change or for the obligation or necessity of doing so.  Why should I move on to File Provider ?  Is it a required or good move ?

That being said, File Provider seems to require the Dropbox folder to be in the Library>CloudStorage folder.   So my question ...  Why am I offered to place the Dropbox folder wherever I want since it was already in the Library>CloudStorage folder before reconnecting my desktop ?

Hoping the context of my case is more precise.  If you need more specific informations, I will be glad to answer.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to jump in here, @rlesperance!

It sounds like you were able to choose the location of the Dropbox folder after you disconnected the computer from your Dropbox account and then reconnected it.

This is shown in the article that Megan linked above, about the new experience for macOS on File Provider.

To address your other questions, while we recommend updating to the latest version of Dropbox for macOS on File Provider, the update isn’t required for you to continue using Dropbox. 

If you’d like to keep your Dropbox folder on a different drive, you can stay on the version of the Dropbox desktop app you’re currently on. 

Make sure to check out this article for more info.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hannah,

In your comment, I understand that being offered to place it anywhere was the result of migrating to File Provider.  I read the contrary.  

Megan's link rather states that upgrading to the Dropbox version complying with File Provider will require moving the Dropbox folder to the Library>CloudStorage folder (see the screenshot by clicking here).

Since the Dropbox folder was previously moved to the Library>CloudStorage, I was already upgraded to the new File Provider version.  So why was I offered to nest it wherever I want  when reconnecting ?  

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @rlesperance, happy Monday! 

Since you were able to choose the location of your Dropbox folder, that means you're no longer part of the File Provider version of the Dropbox app.

It seems that when you tried re-connecting your folder, and re-linked your device; you were downgraded from the new macOS File Provider experience. Hence why you had the option to move your folder to the desired path.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That's what I concluded without being sure.  To retrograde an upgrade after being disconnected is more a bug than a feature.

Is Dropbox working on a fix for that ?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

We aware of this behavior, and will work to improve it in the near future. As of now this serves as a debugging opt-out option as well @rlesperance.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?