cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MacOS Sonoma 14.1 constant high CPU by process DropboxFileProvider

MacOS Sonoma 14.1 constant high CPU by process DropboxFileProvider

PaulSon
Helpful | Level 6

I'm using the latest version of Dropbox (v186.4.2607) on my MacBook Pro (2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9) that is running macOS Sonoma 14.1.
Lately I've noticed that Dropbox is having a high cpu (150 - 200%) almost all of the time. Dropbox is always syncing although nothing is synced because all is already synced.

DropboxHighCpu.png

The menubar icon always shows the sync icon and never the ready icon anymore.
DropboxKeepsSyncing.png

This is very unpleasant and the MacBook Pro is now always very warm/hot with temperatures from 85 to 100 ºC and that is not how it should be.
Is there a solution for this issue?

27 Replies 27

SwampYankee
Explorer | Level 4

Recently the Dropbox Tray Assistant app is constantly taking up about 20% of the CPU, causing my computer to run warm with the fans constantly on, and slowing other things down noticeably.   Rebooting the computer doesn't help.   I can quit the Tray Assistant in Task Manager, but then I think syncing stops.  As soon as I start Dropbox again the CPU usage spikes again.   This is not ok in the long run.  Any idea why this is happening?  

Another thing, the Dropbox tray icon is constantly showing the red warning flag and says that Dropbox is not syncing because I do not have enough storage space and prompts me to upgrade my plan from Basic (2GB) to Standard (5TB).  But I already have the Plus (2TB) plan and I have about 350 GB of files, so plenty of room.  When I look at my account info it shows that I have 2 TB of storage.  And my files are being synced despite the warning.    Why doesn't the Tray know what plan I have, how much storage I have, that my files are actually getting synced, and suggest that I get a much bigger plan than I need?

Why isn't there any actual support phone line, chat, e-mail option to sort out things like the above issue? 

JCull
Explorer | Level 4

Same issue on Ventura 13.6.1, Dropbox 186.4.6207. It's gotten to the point that I can't even touch the keyboard sometimes. I have to pause syncing or quit the app entirely to get the processor to cool down.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey guys, I hope you're all doing well, and sorry to hear about that! 

Have you taken a look at this Help Center article for possible reasons why this might be happening and how to tackle it?

Also, @SwampYankee, could you confirm the Dropbox version you're using on your end, please? 

Could you let us know what processor you're using, and the total amount of RAM on your machine?

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

PaulSon
Helpful | Level 6

@Megan wrote:

Could you let us know what processor you're using, and the total amount of RAM on your machine?

I have a MacBook Pro 16" 2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 with 32 GB RAM.

@Megan wrote:

Have you taken a look at this Help Center article for possible reasons why this might be happening and how to tackle it?

What article? I think the link is missing.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @PaulSon, thanks for your speedy reply! 

I reinstated it, could you try again, please?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

PaulSon
Helpful | Level 6
  1. Dropbox is syncing a large number of files
    Nope, usually less then 50 files
  2. Other apps interfere with sync
    I don't have an anti-virus app. Time machine isn't running when the CPU is still very high.
  3. Files in your Dropbox folder have the wrong permissions
    Dropbox has Full Disk Access
  4. The Dropbox folder is installed on a NAS device
    No, the Dropbox folder is on the SSD in my MacBook Pro
  5. Your device doesn’t support extended attributes
    All metadata is available in Dropbox and the Dropbox folder is on a supported file system (APFS-formatted hard drive)

According to the checks above everything seems to be ok but Dropbox is still having a very high CPU and won't stop syncing after all the files have been synced.
I have paused Dropbox and will only let I run when the lid is open and I'm logged into the Mac.
Very annoying problem!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @PaulSon, in that case, can I send you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into this?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

SwampYankee
Explorer | Level 4

My computer is a Dell Precision 7510 with Xeon 2.9 GHz, 32 GB RAM running Windows 10.  Dropbox files are on the C drive, which is a 475 GB SSD with 47 GB free space.  I am not sure which Dropbox version I am using; the Tray shows Dropbox 186.4.6207 if that helps.  I will check the Help Center article you suggest.  Thanks.

PaulSon
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Megan

Yes you can send me an email. Anything that helps to solve this issue is welcome.

Today I noticed that 3 files are probably causing the problem.
These 3 files won't sync every time after all the other files are synced.
I only know that there are 3 files. Can I somehow found out the names and the location of these 3 files?

Dropbox3FiiesNotSynced.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    VitaliRadchankau New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Tevald Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?