cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Macbook Pro Update Moved My Files and now I can't locate my Documents.

Macbook Pro Update Moved My Files and now I can't locate my Documents.

Brandonrowe14
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I recently updated Dropbox on my MacBook Pro and instantly regretted it. For whatever reason, Dropbox decided all of my files needed to be moved upon the newest update. Unfortunately, not all of my files wound up where/how I expected. When the update was complete, my Documents folder appeared empty, and I was very confused. However, upon closer inspection, I looked in my Documents folder with Terminal, and my files are actually there, but they are not appearing in Finder. Unfortunately, I don't believe it's as simple as Hidden vs Not Hidden because I have Finder set to show Hidden Files, and they are still not appearing there.

Here's how my file structure works (I have a feeling this has something to do with it, and this may well be extremely suboptimal by Dropbox's new standards): Like most MacBook users, I work out of three main folders: Documents, Downloads, and Desktop. Right now, the Downloads and Desktop folders in my MacBook user folder are synced with folders of the same name located in "My Mac([Computer name].local)". I can make changes in the user folders and see them reflected in Dropbox folders. That's how I've worked with it for many years, and I suspect that the latest update doesn't like that very much because the update said something about separating Backups from Sync entirely. It's possible I've misinterpreted something here, so please let me know if you know better, but that was my understanding of the reason for moving files with the update.

So, here are my questions: How can I make these files/folders visible again? More importantly, is there a downside to working with Backups in this way? I'm not totally against changing the way these work (I can accomplish similar workflows with shortcuts after all), but I want to make sure my Backups are maintained. Please let me know if I can provide any further information to help diagnose this problem.

Thanks,

Brandon

16 Replies 16

Kristojanis
Explorer | Level 4

I have the same issue with updated Dropbox, its annoying and I would love old backup folders back.
Now it seems the only way to reach your backup folders (Desktop/Documents/Downloads) is in Dropbox website.

It was very convenient to reach backup folders (Desktop/Documents/Downloads) on other devices mobile or PC, share documents and so on, but now its gone..
I have even tried uninstalling Dropbox and installing older version, but it didn't help. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Kristojanis, could you clarify the issue exactly? Are you not able to access the folders locally? Do you get an error when trying to view them?

Or, are you referring to accessing the backup specifically, while on local devices?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Kristojanis
Explorer | Level 4

Hello, 

Previously in my Dropbox folder (~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox/) I used to have "My Mac (Computer Name).local" folder, that contained backup folders (Desktop/Documents/Downloads). 

After the update, in the Dropbox folder the "My Mac (Computer Name).local" folder is gone. 
The only way I can access the backup folders form other devices is through www.dropbox.com, than 9 dots on top left corner and "Backup".

The new route is long and difficult, makes usability of backup folders very poor.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Is this the backup for the specific computer you're using at the moment, or for another computer using the backup?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Kristojanis
Explorer | Level 4

I am using dropbox on one computer a Mac and also my phone and from time to time on my old PC.
The backup is setup for the Mac, but and it was visible along other folders while using phone or old PC, that is not the case after update.

DrNorm
Explorer | Level 4

EXACT SAME ISSUE... I was urgently needing a specific file to synch from laptop to cloud so I could access it on my desktop and, because DB synch status showed it was in the middle of a backup and would take many hours... I thought I could just "turn off backup" temporarily and then it would go back to synching the contents of by regular DB folders and I could re-enable Backup at a later time when I was not needing to use the computer.

BIG MISTAKE. Now everything is completely corrupted and messed and messed up. I tried "recovering" the backup but it won't let me do it to the same machine that it was created from????   I have no re-enabled Backup and am waiting for it to complete the first backup, at which point I "hope" that I can take a copy of all the files from the backup (that I downloaded to an NAS, thankfully, as they are otherwise "gone" and the original 8GB DB Backup is now missing.

This is even after I selected to keep all the files when Backup was turned off. It gives you two very confusing options ("keep in DB backup"  or "keep in original location" but neither seemed to work correctly)

I have been a DB user since day one and referred so many people they should be paying ME.... but the changes with MacOS 13 have been bad (or at least, badly handled) that I am pretty soured on it. Not to mention the REALLY poor support network and FAQ's.    

Emmet
Community Manager

This feature is not currently available on the Dropbox Backup Beta experience. The team is currently exploring solutions to this. In the meantime, there is a workaround by accessing the content from the web. 

Need more support?