cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Dropbox folder to removable drive?

Move Dropbox folder to removable drive?

David S.266
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have an Intel Compute Stick with very little storage on the device itself. I tried to move my Dropbox folder to a microSD card installed in my Intel Compute Stick but I got an error message from Dropbox because the microSD card is removable. Is there any way of overriding this, so that I can put my Dropbox folder on my microSD card?

75 Replies 75

Ravi K.2
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Adam and everyone else who has been successful with Adam's method. I am sorry, this does not seem to be working for me. I have moved my data back and forth between by external HDD, c: drive and my SD card. The data is safely in my SD card now and DB Mount shortcut is also inside my C: drive, but Dropbox continues to ask me for my external drive, it's last known location. I am thinking of reinstalling Dropbox on my machine, but I guess that will create another folder in C drive called Dropbox.

Help pls.

Ravi

sofokles5
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

adam thanks. great and simple solution. 

Francisco E.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi adam l.22.
Can I use this method to install Users folder in a Thumb Drive?

adam l.22 escreveu:

I had been searching and I found this. Just did it and it works perfectly. http://copytaste.com/io8211xb

Dropbox on a Thumb Drive

1. You can have your Dropbox folder on removable media (a flash/thumb drive) on Windows. If you have a flash/thumb drive, you will first need to mount it. This is done by:

a. Control panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Storage --> Disk Management
b. Right click on the flash/thumb drive, select Change Drive Letter and Paths…
c. Select add, then select Mount in the following empty NTFS folder, browse to your C:, select New Folder…
d. Name the folder "DB Mount", click OK, click OK, click OK. Close Computer Management. 
e. You can now access your flash/thumb drive through its removable storage location (drive letter) or through the mounted location (C: DB Mount). Dropbox requires a local drive (the mounted volume).

2. Download Dropbox at: https://www.dropbox.com/install (You will have to signup for an account if you don't already have one).

3. If you have a flash/thumb drive, install Dropbox to the mounted drive in C:, named DB Mount. Select the this as the location for your Dropbox directory.

CathyG
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Genius! Thanks 🙂

Keshava
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

THIS is the solution I was looking for! Worked like charm. Thank you so much!

Donno
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks Adam. Your solution worked perfectly, however I had to restart my PC before moving the Dropbox files to the newly mounted folder (Dropbox was already installed). Kept getting an error along the lines of "cannot move files" when trying to move the Dropbox files prior to restarting. 

Jena
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I cannot thank you enough for this solution!  I have spent hours trying to take care of this problem.

Thank you for your awsomeness!

Craigp323
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

unacceptable... dropbox needs to fix this NOW

@Ebbe J. wrote:

I Have the same problem with my Acer 2 in 1. I use it when I travel to share pics. All drives except the C-drive is is theoretically removable - so why pick on flash drives - the main drive in my netbook is a flash drive.

It really ought to be up to us users, as long as we have been warned.  I have dropbox on my pc at home which is my main repository - just need to be able to upload pictures and send links to other people so they can view them while I m still on the road.

Maybe I am using the wrong tool? Any suggestions?

gismwas
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Very helpful...thanks Adam...if ever you are in Kenya...will also buy you a beer!!

@adam l.22 wrote:

I had been searching and I found this. Just did it and it works perfectly. http://copytaste.com/io8211xb

Dropbox on a Thumb Drive

1. You can have your Dropbox folder on removable media (a flash/thumb drive) on Windows. If you have a flash/thumb drive, you will first need to mount it. This is done by:

a. Control panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Storage --> Disk Management
c. Select add, then select Mount in the following empty NTFS folder, browse to your C:, select New Folder…
d. Name the folder "DB Mount", click OK, click OK, click OK. Close Computer Management. 
e. You can now access your flash/thumb drive through its removable storage location (drive letter) or through the mounted location (C: DB Mount). Dropbox requires a local drive (the mounted volume).

2. Download Dropbox at: https://www.dropbox.com/install (You will have to signup for an account if you don't already have one).

3. If you have a flash/thumb drive, install Dropbox to the mounted drive in C:, named DB Mount. Select the this as the location for your Dropbox directory.

@adam l.22 wrote:

Dropbox on a Thumb Drive

Neugen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Nice, this is excellant information. Tried to create a symbolic link and had a lot of issues.

These steps worked perfectly the first time around!!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Morpheus New member | Level 2
    apmessner New member | Level 2
    Cyron Explorer | Level 4
    intuitivefox New member | Level 2
    Dave C.5 Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?