cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Not eligible for Dropbox for macOS 12.5 or later

Not eligible for Dropbox for macOS 12.5 or later

Onnbrok
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi.

I work in an Graphic design agency where we use dropbox as a file server. Work a lot in inDesign and am starting to go crazy not being able to link online files.

Therefore we want to upgrade to the new version that supports the Apple silicon API.

However, we do not receive an invitation and in settings it says "You are not eligible for the updated Dropbox for macOS on File Provider at this time"

Have been in contact with dropboc support several times. Only get stupid answers before they stop replying at all.

Please, can anyone help?

21 Replies 21

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @franko2000, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

To be able to run the desktop app on your computer, you'll need to be on Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra or later. 

For more information, you can have a look here.

I hope this helps a tad. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

franko2000
New member | Level 2

why now after this period of time don't I want to change my operating system?? why..

MrMcBlack
Helpful | Level 5

I have the same issue and we‘re absolutely frustrated as this has been disrupting our workflow for so long now.

We also consider switching to a different service with out business dropbox and almost 5tb of data.

Please dropbox, can you finally get this is order and get the bloody transition to file provider out?

It seriously is not that hard. Apart from that, instead of saying you‘re not eligible a more transparent

approach of communication would be highly appreciated. Tell the people why they are not eligible. 

Is anything interfering? Can user do something about it themselves.

This is honestly the worst software experience just after Windows Vista…. 

If Apple would offer a business cloud I would switched years ago tbh….

Please, get this done. Thanks. Otherwise switching to Box or OneDrive soon.

katja_birkenstock
New member | Level 2

Hey @dropbox team, we've been having exactly the same issues described above.
I've been keeping a sharp eye out for updates, and to find out there is STILL NO FIX DATE is actually infuriating.

This has been costing us a huge amount in resources to work around, and it's simply not good enough given the amount we pay for the service. 
I'm starting to look at alternatives as being forced to change our workflow around a broken product isn't acceptable.

Please, please, please advise when the fix will actually be available for users. 

darren1501
Explorer | Level 3

If it helps... Dropbox will not convert if all team members are not below a file count (synced files per client) of less than 300k and are running supported a supported OS. As an admin you have no way to see the file counts for each user or force the update.  The best you can do is to update to a supported OS and deal with the issues while the conversion takes place. After that request that your team uses selective sync on only folders they need (under 300k) and hope the Dropbox approves the conversion to Apple File Provider. As an admin I would like to say everyone needs to use selective sync, we will update your OS tonight and tomorrow you will be presented with Dropbox Apple File Provider option but that is not possible.

Vincent B.10
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So let me get this straight: if we want our organization to move to Apple File Provider every team member needs to get their synced files to less than 300.000? Does this mean we have to deselect all folders in "Select folders to sync to this Mac"? Or does it mean we have to actually get rid of files? And is this only applicable to Mac users? Because we have some Windows users in our team as well. Do they have to do anything, so our Mac users can upgrade?

This all seems kind of ridiculous...

Amy
Community Manager

Hi @Vincent B.10, thanks for your comment, and to the others in this thread as well, we hear your frustrations and understand your confusion about the eligibility criteria and migration process. 

Currently, users interested in migrating need to be running macOS 12.5 (although we recommend macOS 13 for the best experience) and have less than 300K files. If you have more than 300K files, we recommend using Selective Sync to decrease your number of files to meet the requirement, migrate, and then, if you’d like, you can sync the content back to your Dropbox. 

Here’s how you can sync down your content in order to migrate:
  1. Open your Dropbox desktop app preferences.
  2. Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar in the top right corner of your screen.
  3. Click your avatar (profile picture or initials) in the top-right corner.
  4. Click Preferences.
  5. Click the Sync tab.
  6. Under Select folders to sync to this Mac (Mac), click Select folders.
  7. Check the folders you’d like saved on your hard drive. Uncheck the folders you’d like removed.
  8. Click Update.

We understand that this is not ideal. We are working on solutions to this issue and will let you know as soon as we have made the necessary improvements. 

We will be in touch when we have any updates. Thanks again for the feedback.

Onnbrok
New member | Level 2

Thanks Amy!

Now we finally had the opportunity to test this solution and I can confirm that it works. It takes some effort and time to get everyone on the team to sync as few folders as possible. But when this was done we finally got the opportunity to update. After this, everything has worked perfectly with links in Adobe programs.  

But the fact that this took over two years to solve is madness!

asiufy
Collaborator | Level 8

Amy,

Question: if I use Selective Sync and deselect a folder, the files are removed from my local storage, correct? Then once I migrate to the new File Provider version, I will have to download everything in that folder again...?

And if/when I reach the 300k limit, how soon will I get the "go ahead" to update? Is it automatic or do I have to do something?

Thanks.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @asiufy, how are you today? 

Yes, if you follow the steps Amy posted above, your content will be removed locally, but seen when you visit your account online.

The best way to get a file count would be to check your local Dropbox folder, by right clicking on it, and then Get Info. 

However, keep in mind that this won't be precise if some of your content isn't syncing locally due to the device's settings. 

As for the update, it will be automatic. You'll most likely get a notification, asking you to update once you're eligible. 

I hope this helps!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?