cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paths to files after the forced move of the Dropbox folder (Mac OS)

Paths to files after the forced move of the Dropbox folder (Mac OS)

jflintwinch
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

After my Dropbox folder was moved to ~/Library/CloudStorage, I'm having trouble with applications that rely on having a physical working directory.

A lot of my R code is in Dropbox but the orginal file locations don't exist anymore now. However, if I set my working directory in R as ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox/MyFolder, R can't find any files in that folder either. If I then run getwd() to get the current working directory, it says /Users/myusername. The same happens in Stata.

Similarly, when I try to compile a LaTeX file that is stored in Dropbox, it doesn't do anything presumably because it doesn't know what the actual working directory is, because the CloudStorage folder is pointing back to the virtual Dropbox location.

Any suggestions to fix this problem are appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jflintwinch
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm gonna answer my own question...

It appears that after moving the Dropbox folder to `~/Library/CloudStorage`, one has to grant Full Disk Access (System Preferences > Privacy & Security > Full Disk Access) to applications accessing files in the Dropbox folder. After doing that for R, Stata, Texifier, and TeXShop, the above problems vanished.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jflintwinch, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please let us know your computer's exact OS and the status and version of the Dropbox desktop app that's installed there as shown in your menu bar?

Are the issues you mentioned happening to online only files or is this affecting your available offline files as well?

Keep us posted with your findings and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

jflintwinch
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm gonna answer my own question...

It appears that after moving the Dropbox folder to `~/Library/CloudStorage`, one has to grant Full Disk Access (System Preferences > Privacy & Security > Full Disk Access) to applications accessing files in the Dropbox folder. After doing that for R, Stata, Texifier, and TeXShop, the above problems vanished.

Munish
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, 

I am still facing the same problem even after applying the solution suggested, can you help me with it. 

Thanks!

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@Munish  wrote:

Hi, 

I am still facing the same problem even after applying the solution suggested, can you help me with it. 

Thanks!

Have you tried in the applications themselves to move the storage location of where it expects to see files?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Munish New member | Level 2
    jflintwinch New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?