cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper procedure for re-linking (adopting) backed up external drive on a new computer?

Proper procedure for re-linking (adopting) backed up external drive on a new computer?

lament
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

I'm only backing up an external hard drive with Dropbox Backup. I wiped and reinstalled my Mac (Sonoma 14.2.1) and reinstalled Dropbox.

Dropbox has created a new backup of the external drive and has called it External Drive (1). I see my proper backup (External Drive) files on the web. I just want to not have to upload 3.5TB of data and have Dropbox recognize that it's the same drive I've been previously backing up. The name of the external drive has not changed.

There's currently a black x on the Dropbox icon. When I click, it says my Dropbox is full and that I'm using 3.5TGB of my 45GB of personal Dropbox space. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @lament, since you wiped and reinstalled the OS, this is considered a different device, so any backups made on the 'old' device will no longer work.

You'll need to backup the external drive from scratch, and delete the old backup, since you're currently out of quota, to free up space. Currently, it isn't possible to merge two backups together in the way you're requesting.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @Jason E.15 - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please send me a screenshot of the app's exact status as shown in your menu bar at the moment?

Also, do you see one or two backups in your backups page

Let us know more and we'll take it from there, Jason. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

lament
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Walter yes I have 2 backups shown. See attachments.Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 9.35.24 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-01-02 at 9.35.59 AM.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @lament, since you wiped and reinstalled the OS, this is considered a different device, so any backups made on the 'old' device will no longer work.

You'll need to backup the external drive from scratch, and delete the old backup, since you're currently out of quota, to free up space. Currently, it isn't possible to merge two backups together in the way you're requesting.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

lament
Explorer | Level 3

@Jay I find it hard to believe that in 2024 you can't adopt a backup of an external drive that didn't change at all. That's a complete waste of time and resources having to re-upload, on both sides. I know it can be done with Backblaze because I've done it, so it's baffling you guys can't do this.

I'm not backing up the new computer itself - I'm simply adopting an external backup that is already showing in my account. Why can't that backup be associated with this "new" device?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @lament, your feedback regarding our Backup has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

I can totally see where you're coming from, and I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so that we can further improve our product. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    lament Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?