cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming Dropbox (1) folder on my computer

Renaming Dropbox (1) folder on my computer

iainshaw
Explorer | Level 3

We've trialed Dropbox for Business and gone back to individual Dropboxes (Dropbox Plus) with shared folders.  One of the machines that has "rolled" back has created a new Dropbox called Dropbox (1) while leaving a copy of the original Dropbox folder in place.  The Dropbox (1) seems to be the "working " Dropbox which syncs etc., the Dropbox folder has the content that was previously there but it doesn't sync or reflect changes.    Is it possible to change the name of Dropbox to "Dropbox OLD" or even remove it and then change the name of my Dropbox (1) back to Dropbox?  It would be a simple fix but I'm wary of doing stuff that might cause issues.   If that isn't the way forward, can you suggest another way please?

2 Replies 2

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @iainshaw, thanks for messaging the Community!

Currently, it wouldn't be possible to rename the Dropbox folder. Generally, the app wouldn't allow a Dropbox folder to exist with the (1) there. 

The best option would be to perform an advanced reinstallation, however, after the app is uninstalled, to delete both Dropbox folders entirely. This will ensure that the new folder that the app creates is new, and the data freshly synced from the site.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

iainshaw
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks.  I think might just live with the annoying name Dropbox (1) but if I've got the energy I'll do the advanced reinstallation.  The Dropbox for Business Trial is an absolute menace.  I suspect had we started off on the product we'd probably have been quite happy with it but changing an established setup for an established group of people across a number of machines is a fraught process.  The level of unpredicable changes made to file structures both on creation of the trial and more importantly when rolling back is unacceptable.  I think only one machine involved in the trial rolled back to its pre-trial state without manual intervention.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

iainshaw Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?