cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set all folders to "make available offline" on macOS

Set all folders to "make available offline" on macOS

jwhitley
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

In the new macOS FileProvider API version of Dropbox, is it possible to recursively set all folders to "make available offline"?  If so, does this setting persist for newly added sub-folders?  I've read reports that each individual folder must be manually set, which is completely unacceptable if true.

My key use case is that I ALWAYS want every file in Dropbox synced to my Mac so it will be included in my backup process. Automatically and/or silently reverting to "online" behavior is therefore never OK. A related use case is that I need to be able to trust "make available offline" for times when I may not have robust connectivity and/or for when redownloading is unacceptable. Concrete example, among many: if I'm presenting, I need to know that all presentation assets are local. Delaying a professional presentation because "downloading" is a bad look.

With the old version of Dropbox, the above workflows were essentially bulletproof, and my longstanding ability to rely on that is literally what makes me a paying customer. What I'm reading of the new version give me significant doubts.

20 Replies 20

HGohar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

And spend a few weeks trying to download tons of data let alone photos that can't be retrieved by Lightroom or Adobe bridge! VERY UNPROFESSIONAL MOVE

wolfdrop
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi! Since the last major update I always have to download every file manually by clicking on the cloud symbol. This really slows down my work. I'd like to use dropbox as a normal folder system with everything automatically downloading all the time, just as it used to be. How can I achieve that?

Thanks,

Wolf

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @wolfdrop, I assume you're referring to the new Dropbox for macOS update, right?

This is actually expected behavior with newly added files, but also, if the app detects that you're running low on hard drive space, it will also automatically switch your files to online-only.

You can see more info about this and other expected changes here.

If you want your entire Dropbox folder to be available offline, though, you can navigate to the Dropbox folder in ~/Library/CloudStorage, right-click, and choose "Make available offline".

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

wolfdrop
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thanks a lot That's what I was looking for.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Not a problem, @wolfdrop!

Let us know if you need anything else.

Have a great day!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Katriina
New member | Level 2

I am using MAC and I had to install Dropbox again (Dropbox Professional with 3 TB). However, now after re installing Dropbox, all my Dropbox files can be opened only when I am online. When I open a file, then it is also stored in my MAC.

How do I get all those files also stored in my MAC (as they have been there)?  

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Katriina, thanks for your post today!

If you want to make all your Dropbox files available offline, so you don't need to be connected to the internet to access them, simply right click on the Dropbox folder itself and choose "make available offline".

Keep in mind that offline files will take up space on your hard drive.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Katriina
New member | Level 2

Hi Hannah, right click function does not work when using MAC. What is the alternative way of doing what you suggested? And on other question: what to do if I want to choose certain folders which are accessible when working offline? 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

If you control-click on files to get the context menu to make them available offline, the same principle will work for the Dropbox folder itself. 

Do you see a different behavior on your end?

Could you also please clarify your second question?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Katriina
New member | Level 2

Thanks Hannah! Now I understand and it woks. My questions are now solved. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lls3 New member | Level 2
    Katriina New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?