cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some files not syncing from Mac computer to Ubuntu but others do

Some files not syncing from Mac computer to Ubuntu but others do

BrunoJ
Explorer | Level 3

Dear all,

I have been banging my head against the wall with this one...

Some of my files do not sync to my Ubuntu computer if I create them in my Mac computer  -other do without any problem- but all files I create in my Ubuntu  show up in my Mac computer. I have the global settings on synchronize all files and folders in both computers.

I have cleaned both dropbox caches, I have stopped and restarted dropbox in both computers. They all show up in the dropbox site so they are all being synchronized to the dropbox servers. It's just the direction from Mac to Ubuntu that sometimes works and sometimes not!

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help you might provide,

Bruno

20 Replies 20

Rich
Super User II

@BrunoJ wrote:

Some of my files do not sync to my Ubuntu computer if I create them in my Mac computer ...

Problem with the file names?

BrunoJ
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Rich!

It is not the file names but I have narrowed it down to being a problem of files created by Photoshop! It's strange, it only happens with those files. For the moment I have found a workaround solutions -albeit very time-consuming. I download the file I want to use in my Linux computer from the dropbox website to a different folder (just to avoid conflict versions) and then I can use it without any problem in the Linux computer. However, this is not a solution in the long run, I need to either stop using photoshop or stop using dropbox for my work...

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @BrunoJ, happy Friday, I hope you're doing well! 

Interesting behavior you got going on there. Can I ask the version of the Dropbox app that's installed on both devices? All you have to do in order to find that, is to locate your Dropbox icon, next to your WiFi and hover your mouse there. 

We want to make sure that both of the versions are the latest stable ones. Also, what is the app's syncing status on both of them when this happens? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

BrunoJ
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan,

Both versions are v159.4.5870 and all files sync to the server quickly. That is why I can download them after to my linux computer with my "go around" solution.

If you have any idea of what could be causing this behavior with the photoshop files please let me know. Meanwhile, I've been meaning to switch to using Gimp as an alternative to Photoshop so I just found the perfect justification to get moving 🙂

Best regards,

Bruno

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for sharing your workaround with our Community, @BrunoJ!

We'll actually leave the thread open, in case another user has some more info for you.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

FesT
Helpful | Level 6

Hey,
I have the same problem! I am trying to sync my entire Dropbox on a newly set up Linux (The Linux Dropbox client is running version 159.4.5870).
The sync works great, only some files (seems like .jpg .png .tiff .psd) probably saved with an older Photoshop version cannot be downloaded to the Linux machine. If there are too many of these files that are not "downloadable", Dropbox shows that it is syncing, but nothing happens anymore.
On the Mac everything works fine.
Unfortunately, @BrunoJ workaround doesn't work for me, because I have about 2TB of files already on the Dropbox server and I can't open all files and save them again.

Any Idea how to solve that issue?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @FesT,

Hm.. 🤔 That's something really strange. Can you share (shared link) some .png or .jpg that doesn't contain private info (or just some dummy picture) and definitely cannot (make it sure) sync? Available example might give some ideas... Let's hope.

FesT
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Здравко,

it's hard to say which images definitely don't sync, because it can always be that they are simply in the queue...

But with this files I am pretty sure:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkxcwioxmm124r8/Skies0238_L.jpg?dl=0

And some additional information, this ist how it looks in Nautilus:

Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 20.11.37.png

 at the same time the terminal says syncing 3 files even there are 5 files to sync:

Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 20.11.58.png

Would be great if you find a solution!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @FesT,

Unfortunately I can't find solution, but can confirm that there is a 2 things. First one is that Dropbox application definitely behaves wrong. Like your findings I can see the same:

image.png

Another interesting thing is that downloading the folder "does not sync" and adding the downloaded to Dropbox, it syncs back successful:

image.png

The second thing (even more interesting) is both "does not sync" folders are binary identical (and not only). This means that there are undocumented properties (most probably) that affect application behavior.

Let's hope the moderators will forward this to development, so be solved the issue (and documented). But,... better don't rely too much.

I want to tag @Greg-DB here; Is some API features/access point able to show up the differences in files/folder properties affecting this situation? I tried /2/files/list_folder for both "does not sync" folders showing the same, but the state is not actually the same (as can be seen)! 🤔🤷 Any thoughts? How can such a situation be detected/predicted? Thanks Greg!

Good luck, to all of us.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

SmrtSyncIsTrash Explorer | Level 3
    FesT Helpful | Level 6
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?