cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

dsnidey
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After upgrading to macOS Ventura, I was prompted to upgrade to "Dropbox for macOS 12". I proceeded with that, it moved my Dropbox folder to ~/Library/CloudStorage and confirmed all was successful. Now when using Spotlight to search (I often type something like 'drawings folder' to open a folder called Drawings) the results in Spotlight show the Dropbox app icon beside the name of the item I want (rather than a Finder icon for folder or file). Hitting Enter or clicking on the result switches to Finder and does nothing, or sometimes will open the Applications folder and show the Dropbox app. It's not linking me to the actual file in ~/Library/CloudStorage. 

I have done the following and the problem is not solved:

• Restarted
  • Ensured all files are available for offline access
  • Rebuilt the spotlight index
  • Unlinked Dropbox from this Mac, did a complete clean install of dropbox, performed the upgrade to v159.4.5870 and synced just one folder to begin

Nothing works. Any suggestions??

398 Replies 398

dragononamac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
I recommend pCloud so far so good
If Dropbox don’t fix this I’m switching permanently (although it will be painful) but that will be after a decade of business with Dropbox across multiple accounts I will be leaving

eheilner
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey kohj,

The problem here is that you need the older version.  I spent a few minutes on the Dropbox site but could find anywhere to obtain older versions.

I did, however, find this site which seems to have older versions:  https://dropbox.en.uptodown.com/mac/versions

What's even weirder, is that on my computers which I did NOT upgrade (and on which search works)  it shows the same release as my computer with the new (broken) version: v167.4.4719

This is very discouraging.  Dropbox is not perfect but it's been good enough for me for over 10 years.   But like you, if they do not fix this I will have to find another solution.

And - as you said - the lack of any response from Dropbox support is unprofessional.

I will experiment with some of these older versions later today and get back.

minpi
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

I do not think Dropbox team will answer. At least here in this forum. It's a part of their politics - to answer means to accept there is some issue. No answer - no problem😊

The "best" way ist just mark this case as "solved" in order to involve into this issue more and more users which do not know they have to avoid a last update, provided by Dropbox. They could deactivate update notification to avoid this frustration, but they do not. And I guess, they wont..

kohji
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@eheilner san, thank you so much for the link to older versions.

Downgrading Dropbox is, after all, one of the “temporary hacks” until the Dropbox company releases the fixed version.

However, we cannot strongly believe that they will release the fixed version.

Anyway I submitted a “Support Ticket” online, for Dropbox's current standpoint and status. Let's see what I will receive...

kohji
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Update: I got an initial reply from the support team, but it was just like the “template”, like this:

As I understand you are having issues when using Spotlight search to open your files.

Please try the following to resolve the issue: 

• Open the Dropbox folder in Finder, wait a little while, then retry the Spotlight search.
    • Since the Dropbox folder was moved to a new location with the new macOS update, it needs to be re-indexed. Opening the folder can prompt this.
  • Another reason is that the entire disk might need to be reindexed. Follow these instructions from Apple to rebuild the Spotlight index.
    • Note: The help article mentions the Documents folder, but you need to use the Dropbox folder instead.
    • Also note: In some cases the entire hard disk may need to be re-indexed.

If none of the above steps seem to help, please let me know and I can investigate further.

Then I sent him back with details. Let's see what comes next.

dragononamac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
The support team haven’t offered any solutions - same old generic responses

kohji
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

The next reply (in response to my lengthy description of the issue) sounds somewhat hopeful:

Thank you for alerting us to this problem. Dropbox engineers are aware of the problem and are working on a solution.
Sorry for any inconvenience this is causing. We'll update you shortly on this issue.

I sincerely hope this “shortly” will come very shortly.

dragononamac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
Do you have their email address this person from Dropbox? Can we email them directly to push them

minpi
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

It wont help - they wont response. You have to open a ticket. But if you do, it wont help as well, because solutions they provide doesn't work. Stay on the old version and do not update! There are no other solutions at the moment

eheilner
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm not sure whether to believe it or not, but it looks like they *may* have fixed this. 

To start off with, we have 3 Macs - a Pro, iMac, and a mini.  I attempted to install an earlier version on the Pro.  It did not end well, I had to do some stuff on Terminal to remove the bad effects of what I had done.   I strongly discourage anyone from doing this.  Anyway, then I went out and grabbed the latest release from Dropbox website - and this time it installed a newer release: V168.4.4802  - and search is working under this release.  I went out to our other two Macs and somehow Dropbox had automatically upgraded to this release as well. 

AND - it looks like they're keeping the location in standard Dropbox folder: /username/Dropbox.  Yeah!

So far so good, but I'm still suspicious because there's now an alert on the Dropbox icon, and when you click on this it says "As part of this update, your Dropbox folder and files will move to a new secure location on this Mac",  i.e. ~/Library/CloudStorage.  I think we already know that this does not end well.  So I'm sticking with this release.

Needless to say, none of this gives me a warm & fuzzy feeling.

Need more support?