cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

dsnidey
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After upgrading to macOS Ventura, I was prompted to upgrade to "Dropbox for macOS 12". I proceeded with that, it moved my Dropbox folder to ~/Library/CloudStorage and confirmed all was successful. Now when using Spotlight to search (I often type something like 'drawings folder' to open a folder called Drawings) the results in Spotlight show the Dropbox app icon beside the name of the item I want (rather than a Finder icon for folder or file). Hitting Enter or clicking on the result switches to Finder and does nothing, or sometimes will open the Applications folder and show the Dropbox app. It's not linking me to the actual file in ~/Library/CloudStorage. 

I have done the following and the problem is not solved:

• Restarted
  • Ensured all files are available for offline access
  • Rebuilt the spotlight index
  • Unlinked Dropbox from this Mac, did a complete clean install of dropbox, performed the upgrade to v159.4.5870 and synced just one folder to begin

Nothing works. Any suggestions??

398 Replies 398

dragononamac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
You are still using the old version
Dropbox themselves don’t know what they are doing
If you click get started then you will install the new version and it will stop working
If Dropbox is in your home folder then this is the old version

This is how unorganised Dropbox are they release a new version and obfuscate which version you are truly running

Murtaza B.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi

I was having the same issues, and after reading all these forums, nothing worked, then this is what has worked for me at present

I went into `~/Library/CloudStorage

Right clicked on the Dropbox Folder

Pressed "Make available offline"

And suddenly, the green ticks that were previously visible on each folder started coming in, and in a few seconds, I saw the files being searchable and opening from spotlight. I had also previously done the re-index method of the folder, but it hadn't worked. 

Hope this helps. 

harmanhoetink
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Did some digging on the Dropbox site, and found this page ("Expected changes with Dropbox for macOS"). Under "Searching through Finder won’t find all content in your Dropbox folder." I found two interesting bits:

• "Search using Spotlight isn’t affected." – No comment.
  • "Searching through Finder will only find online-only files or folders that have been previously accessed on your device (...) This will also affect features that depend on searching through Finder. For example, Smart Folders." – I checked and indeed: Smart Folders don’t work anymore in Dropbox after the "upgrade"!

This just seems to be getting worse...

kohji
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@Murtaza B.1 

If only we could create the “hard link” folder to ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox, instead of “symbolic link” (aka soft link) ...

If it could be done, I guess the issue (theoretically) will be fixed.

However, since macOS Catalina, creating a hard link “to a directory” cannot be accomplished.

harmanhoetink
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Quick update to my previous post: extant Smart Folders don’t work anymore after the Dropbox update – but if you re-do the search and create a new Smart Folder, it will work.

[Update: Release v168.4.4802, but I did click the upgrade option. Haven’t downgraded yet, hoping for another solution.]

eheilner
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

A quick suggestion to everyone on this thread - post the release you are using.  Got to Preferences and it shows the release.  The very latest release per this website:  https://dropbox.en.uptodown.com/mac/versions shows v168.4.4802.   This release IS working properly and the files are stored in the standard location.

JoePL
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I'm on v168.4.4802, but I'm still getting a prompt saying to Update it. I haven't done it yet out of fear of issues with Spotlight indexing and file syncing. Can you clarify what you mean by this version is "working properly?" Is it syncing subfolders and Spotlight indexing properly? 

JoePL_0-1677507277017.jpeg

eheilner
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Search is working properly for me on 3 different Macs using Version v168.4.4802;  AFAICT it is properly syncing subfolders and Spotlight as I did not have to do anything else.

Regarding the prompt to upgrade - I also see it - but I am deliberately NOT choosing that option.    I could be wrong, but I suspect that this prompt to upgrade is a bug - seeing as v168.4.4802 is the latest version.

But given the complete lack of communication from Dropbox regarding this issue it's hard to know anything with 100% certainty.

NL8
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Unfortunately, this solution does not work. The files are not searchable again from the search bar as soon as I did the "Dropbox for macOS 12 is available" upgrade.

eheilner
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

NL8 -  As I just said, do NOT choose that upgrade.   Just out of curiosity what version # are you seeing?

Need more support?