cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

dsnidey
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After upgrading to macOS Ventura, I was prompted to upgrade to "Dropbox for macOS 12". I proceeded with that, it moved my Dropbox folder to ~/Library/CloudStorage and confirmed all was successful. Now when using Spotlight to search (I often type something like 'drawings folder' to open a folder called Drawings) the results in Spotlight show the Dropbox app icon beside the name of the item I want (rather than a Finder icon for folder or file). Hitting Enter or clicking on the result switches to Finder and does nothing, or sometimes will open the Applications folder and show the Dropbox app. It's not linking me to the actual file in ~/Library/CloudStorage. 

I have done the following and the problem is not solved:

• Restarted
  • Ensured all files are available for offline access
  • Rebuilt the spotlight index
  • Unlinked Dropbox from this Mac, did a complete clean install of dropbox, performed the upgrade to v159.4.5870 and synced just one folder to begin

Nothing works. Any suggestions??

398 Replies 398

kohji
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@JoePL wrote:

On step 2, could you clarify how to make ~/Dropbox a symbolic link?

There are several ways to confirm this:

(1) to see the Finder showing the icon of symlink (or what is called “alias” in old way) like this:

Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 19.58.20.png

(2) to see the "Get Info" (“symbolic link” in UNIX and Linux can be regarded as “Alias” in the macOS world):

Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 19.59.32.png

(3) or to see in the terminal like this (the leftmost “l” denotes symbolic link):

Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 19.59.22.png

MikeCTZA
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

For those who were waiting for it macOS Ventura 13.3 has been released.

Fingers crossed all is good after this update.

Will report back when I get time to do the update.

reformedtexan
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It's fixed! Euge!

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi Everybody,

We expect this issue to be resolved with macOS 13.3. Thanks for reporting back that updating to 13.3 has provided resolution @MikeCTZA and @reformedtexan 

We don't expect this problem to persist, but if anybody continues to experience it, please don't hesitate to let us know!

Regards,

Ben

ThePlanner
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Fixed! I just updated to macOS 13.3 Ventura and can search and open all files from Spotlight Search. Woohoo! FINALLY!!!

minpi
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution
Spoiler

Hi Ben, experimenting with Dropbox team together I was upgrading 4 times and all of them was unsuccessful. Thats why I would like to ask you about an extra confirmation, that a new Dropbox version on a new Ventura 13.3 is able to open files or folders "in place" by pressing Cmd+Enter directly from the Spotlight search. I mean not to open a file it self, but to show a location where it was saved. It's is my daily workflow and the old version still works fine. Please let me (us) know

Rijak
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @minpi I have just updated to Os 13.3 and everything seems to work fine like it used to. Pressing Cmd+enter opens the finder locations of the file highlighted in spotlight.

Hope this helps.

minpi
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Thank you very much. I will try😊 

JoePL
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

@Rijak @ThePlanner, can you confirm Spotlight indeed works if you fully upgrade and enable the Dropbox files to be stored in the ~/CloudStorage/ folder? 

Rijak
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@JoePLyes, I am running the latest dropbox build (v170.4.5895) and files are stored in the CloudStorage folder. Up to this morning Dropbox did not work like it used to, but after the os update it does.

Hope this helps.

Need more support?