cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync with a network drive

Sync with a network drive

Tommy Q.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi,

I have an external drive connected to my router which appears in the network as \10.50.1.1\Name
How do I sync my dropbox file to a location there? when I try to move the directory over there, I get a message that this is a network drive.

Thanks,
Tommy

16 Replies 16

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

I fully appreciate also that this isn't just a Dropbox problem but it is where the world is moving

Until some significant things are fixed with the standard network filesystem protocols, I don't see Dropbox changing their stance on this.

For example, currently SMB has no requirement to propagate filesystem events to clients, so Dropbox only knows what's changed when it does a full folder and file scan on each start up - this is bad enough on local folders, it would be *murder* across a network! 

Reza G.1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm in the same boat at Bryan H.

I understand that the network protocols have limitations but why not add a simple ability to sync manually. I have a QNAP NAS with 7TB storage and like to sync some important files to Dropbox. There are apps for this in QNAP but they are far from reliable and fail during big file transfers. Heck i can even run a VM and run windows on the NAS for syncing with dropbox but i need some reliable app to allow me to sync my files from NAS to Dropbox.

I'm sure if we can put a man on a moon this can be solved as well if Dropbox really wanted to.

Joseph S.49
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

By defaulting the installation to the user folder Dropbox is creating even more problems with syncing profiles with windows server.  VERY bad choice to install by default into the users folder.

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Actually, Joseph, it was a change made in response to a boat load of feed back from users who wanted it moved there.

Cant please them all.....

Joseph S.49
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Uneducated users should not influence the stability of your product and ability to work well with an operating system, both personal and corporate.

Aron T.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi guys, it is slightly off topic, but I am getting desperate, so please forgive me:

1) DB does not allow me to install the FOLDER under my account on a (university) network drive, so I have to put it on C:. ("Target folder is on a network media")

2) DB does install the PROGRAM under my account on the (university) network drive, there is no other option, I cannot install it on C: of my office computer. 

As a result, when I log on to a different computer on campus, DB program installed on the network drive will find no folder on the C: drive of that computer, and therefore I presume will synch this and delete my DB folder! An utter disaster...

Question: how can I get DB to install the PROGRAM on C:? (I know there is a work around to install the FOLDER on the network drive, but it is far too complicated for me, I don't have administrator rights, etc...)

Many thanks and I'm sorry again!

maestrogarry
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I used KrojamSoft SyncFile for synchronising. Its a simple and best software for synchronising.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Aron T. New member | Level 1
    Joseph S.49 New member | Level 1
    Richard P. Super User alumni
    Reza G.1 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?