cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown folder and icon in my desktop app called Dropbox cache.

Unknown folder and icon in my desktop app called Dropbox cache.

jazzmeg1
Advanced | Level 16
Go to solution

Hello

I just noticed there are a folder named ".dropbox.cache" and a file icon named "desktop" in my desktop app.
What are they? Why did they appear all of sudden?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jazzmeg1 wrote:

I don't know why those two icons are in my Desktop app folder.

Aside from being hidden, the desktop file is actually called desktop.ini, and is a application settings file that controls how a folder appears in Windows. If you enable the display of file extensions, instead of hiding them, you'd see the full file name. It's part of Windows; not Dropbox. You'll see the same file in many folders throughout your computer.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @jazzmeg1, happy Monday, I hope you're doing well! 

The cache folder is used as a staging area to sync files to and from your account. Dropbox keeps a cache of files hidden in your Dropbox for efficiency and for emergency purposes. 

Now, as for the desktop icon on your desktop app, I'm guessing it could be a program file, but please feel free to send me a screenshot, in order for me to have a visual of this. 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jazzmeg1
Advanced | Level 16
Go to solution

Hello Megan,
Thank you for getting back to me.
They were not there before. Both appeared at the same time.(about a week ago or so)

jazzmeg1_0-1679960891719.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @jazzmeg1, these are hidden files, which won't be visible in normal settings on an OS. Have you enabled the visibility of hidden files on your OS?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jazzmeg1 wrote:

Aside from being hidden, the desktop file is actually called desktop.ini, and is a application settings file that controls how a folder appears in Windows. If you enable the display of file extensions, instead of hiding them, you'd see the full file name. It's part of Windows; not Dropbox. You'll see the same file in many folders throughout your computer.

jazzmeg1
Advanced | Level 16
Go to solution

Thank you for the information, Jay
I will look into it.

Thanks.

jazzmeg1
Advanced | Level 16
Go to solution

Hi Rich,
Thank you for your explanation.
I went to Settings>For Developers>Change settings to show hidden and system files and fixed the problem!
I am puzzled because I don't remember that I enabled the file extension display.

Thank you again!

WalterWaschlappen
New member | Level 2

when i connect dropbox to an external drive, a .dropbox.cache folder appears in the dropbox folder. i would like to delete it but if i do the desktop app stops working. what do i do?

Rich
Super User II

@WalterWaschlappen wrote:

when i connect dropbox to an external drive, a .dropbox.cache folder appears in the dropbox folder. i would like to delete it but if i do the desktop app stops working. what do i do?

The .dropbox.cache folder is required for Dropbox to function properly. If it's deleted, Dropbox will just recreate it, and any actions that were in-progress would likely need to start over again (such as syncing a large file).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    WalterWaschlappen New member | Level 2
    jazzmeg1 Advanced | Level 16
What do Dropbox user levels mean?