cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ventura, Dropbox and "double" syncing issues

Ventura, Dropbox and "double" syncing issues

CABDreaming
Explorer | Level 4

I've been a Dropbox user since it started as a company. I have installed Dropbox on a new Mac laptop (Apple M2 Max. 96Gb RAM ) running Ventura (13.3.1 (a)), and I am increasingly frustrated that, even after making a file "Available Offline," I also have to download the file through iCloud services. I've recently resorted to downloading files through the Dropbox site because I can't make the file available locally. I'm told "This version of macOS requires Dropbox folders to be stored here: /Users/[my username]/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox" which, I'm guessing is why this is happening.

It is, quite frankly, untenable working this way--the entire reason I've used Dropbox as long as I have is so I can work on files locally and seamlessly sync to the cloud. What can I do to fix this? Did I do something wrong on installation?

10 Replies 10

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @CABDreaming, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Does the error you mentioned appear when you right-click on files and try to make them "available offline"?

Where does iCloud fit into this situation, are you getting any other messages regarding iCloud?

Also, what's the sync status and version of the Dropbox app on your computer?

You can hover over your Dropbox icon, to see this info.

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

meilanamusic
New member | Level 2

This is happening to me as well! It takes twice as long to open any file because you have to wait for Dropbox then wait for iCloud.   When working with large audio sessions, it's just really problematic.   There has to be a way around this or I'm going to have to cancel my 3 TB subscription at the end of its term after using Dropbox for at least 10 years.  

CABDreaming
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for responding, Hannah. I've been working away from home, so I'm just getting back to this as I'm trying to work on the holiday!

My version of Dropbox is v177.4.5399. Regarding iCloud, I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but when I go to Dropbox/Preferences/Sync, it says this under "Dropbox folder location":

This version of macOS requires Dropbox folders to be stored here:

/Users/[username witheld]/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox

Any file on my Dropbox has the Mac OS "empty cloud with an arrow pointed down" icon, which is to say, it requires me to download from iCloud to see it. What this means in practice is that, whenever I right-click and select the Dropbox "Make Available Offline" option, I see the Dropbox "green checkbox" appear, but also the Mac OS "circle completing" icon next to the file. [Let me know if I can do a screencap of this to prevent confusion from my text description].

If the file is small enough, it arrives relatively promptly, but always with a delay after the Dropbox "green check." If a file is anything about a couple of MBs, I could spend all day waiting for it. It's not my Internet connection as I can go to the Dropbox site and download that same content promptly and without issue.

Regarding my sync status, today it is saying "Updating files," although I've also had this happen when it says my Dropbox is "up to date."

I'm getting no other messages from iCloud.

CABDreaming
Explorer | Level 4

I've not found a solution to this, although I will say I don't have this experience on Mac machines that I use in other studios. The only difference that I can see is that those machines had Dropbox installed in a previous Mac OS (which is to say, their original OS's were NOT Ventura).

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @CABDreaming, sorry to jump in, but could you send us a screenshot of how those files and their icons look on your end so that we can have a visual too?

Any additional information you think might help is more than welcome!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

CABDreaming
Explorer | Level 4

How the file looks in Dropbox before:

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 5.43.34 PM.png

and after selecting "Make available offline":

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 5.43.41 PM.png

In this case, although this file is 96bytes, it has yet to become available.

Andrew

CABDreaming
Explorer | Level 4

TBH, I'm really not sure what else to provide in terms of information for you. It seems relatively clear that having my Dropbox inside of an iCloud directory folder (which, to be clear, was chosen for me automatically during Dropbox installation) is the heart of this. I've never had to put my Dropbox folder there before, so I assume this is an Apple mandate for Ventura.

Andrew

Preferences.jpg

Andrew

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional information and the screenshots too @CABDreaming - most appreciated!

It seems that you updated to the new desktop app for Mac OS so this is expected as those are not iCloud icons but the new syncing icons. For more information, you can have a look here.

I hope this clears things up!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

CABDreaming
Explorer | Level 4

Walter, thanks for your reply. I gave up on this problem because I went back to working in the studio for awhile. The icons aren't really the issue, but I appreciate the background. The actual issue is that synching anything takes tremendously long. For example, I have a folder that couldn't be more than 1MB that simply won't sync. Internet connectivity isn't an issue, and there are no other resources on the computer commanding attention.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    CABDreaming Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?