cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with Dropbox on MacOS? Spotlight and Finder don't work!!

What is going on with Dropbox on MacOS? Spotlight and Finder don't work!!

dragononamac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Dropbox randomly updated to some new version and said everything is moving to Library/CloudStorage or something like that,

now I can't open files directly in Spotlight OR find using folder search in Finder (although global search "This Mac" works). 

Biggest issues:

1. Searching using spotlight and clicking on it DOES NOTHING!

2. If I am in a folder within Dropbox folder on my Mac, and I want to search for a file IN that folder using Finder, it doesn't find any file if I search using the search box in Finder, I have to click "This Mac" to find files but it finds files from EVERYWHERE when I only want to find files from within that specific Dropbox folder that I am currently in

How do I fix this? I need this functionality working ASAP ! 

Moderated edited to remove swearing

34 Replies 34

Kristojanis
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Really disappointed with the newest version of Dropbox. Losing my time everyday because lost functionality of spotlight, can not find offline files, open excel files, word files are not even found. 
I mean dropbox developers what the actual f.... ?

I don't want to be your beta version tester, therefore paying for working product.

albinotoni
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

For me, this update seems to go all but well. I work with audio and other media, and have been using dropbox for years between different computers with success. After the update, for starters, all the files defaulted themselves to 'online-only'. I don't know a single digital audio workstation or such program which would be okay with that. I have to wonder, why it has to be the default option? Anyway, I changed the files to offline again. It seems that some of them stayed still in online mode. Apps keep crashing.

Weirdly, the problems seem to be somewhat different on different computers (I have a M1, an older mbp and couple of windows pcs). Sometimes I swear I couldn't rename the files in dropbox, sometimes I cannot copy files from dropbox to elsewhere.

I've been chatting with Ableton about this (Live is the software I'm using most and which I've had the most problems after DB update) and it seems that it's something about the file indexing systems that are arguing with each others. I really don't understand how (then again, why should I?).

Now I've noticed that on M1 (OS 13.2) choosing not to start dropbox on system startup, it actually is still starting and the files keep syncing when the app is off.  

And finally, on one of my pcs, dropbox told me that system extension has stopped and I have to login again. While doing it, it asks for the security code which they'll send me in email. The problem is that the code is wrong. 

Before the update, I got an email from dropbox saying "This updated version of the Dropbox app has a deep integration
with macOS to ensure you have the best Dropbox experience." So far this has been the **bleep**tiest dropbox experience of all the times. What makes all this even much worse, is the fact that I've been using dropbox for years without problems. I mean it really has been worth of every penny and more. After the update it's like an ordinary external hard drive that I am afraid to use because you never know when it's going to broke completely.

DrAJP
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The current functions of Dropbox are not good. The recent updates change the basics of how Dropbox has worked since I started using it, over ten years ago. The Spotlight search should work, Dropbox files should work and save in predictable ways. I have played with Google Drive a bit--as I am going to have to switch to something different if Dropbox doesn't respond--and it saves files in the same basic way that Dropbox did and creates a shortcut in the "Locations" settings to the appropriate folder. 

Dropbox - the choice is yours. Are you going to respond to the complaints many of us have with the changes (Twitter is full of them) or just ignore us? 

Thanks 

A long time Dropbox user, always happy, until now. 

jat1971
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This idea that you just need to let dropbox re-index on a Mac is just nonsense.

Finder and spotlight will find files on your mac, located in dropbox - but it will not allow you to search for files within the dropbox folder. So if you have sets of files and you just wish to search for the right one, within a subfolder you can't. You have to go through all hits on your harddrive and try find the one you want (in the folder you wanted to search). Its a complete mess and this is entirely down to 2 large companies behaving like children.

So please dropbox, as its your software that is incompatible with Apple products, fix this problem - including an easy option to remove dropbox from this new location on a mac. 

jat1971
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Paid for Alfred and its useless. Absolutely useless as a simple practical replacement for finder to search within dropbox folder structure. I don't know if those recommending people to buy Alfred work for that company, but don't do it. Its not at all a simple comparable solution to dropbox fixing their now 'nonsense' app and give back functionality. 

mararn1618
Explorer | Level 4

Guys, Dropbox has completely [removed per Community's Guidelines] it up for Mac users and obviously doesn't care at all for already several months. I am cancelling and moving to Google Drive.

I can confirm that Spotlight + Google Drive works as of 2023 July.

Gregor M.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Wow. So they never fixed it. Amazing.

I sent this to DB support today 16 September 2023 on twitter:

"Hi. After the Spring DropBox update did so much damage to my files on the MacBookPro M1, I had to rebuild my laptop and go back to a previous version of DropBox. I'm curious. Did you ever admit to the problem? And did you ever fix the problem? I've been a user since 2010, and I wouldn't dare update the software now. that's sad, considering what I pay each year for the subscription."

Gregor M.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I was active here in March,when DropBox released its new update for MAC OS, as I along with many others experienced a meltdown in indexing, file access, and a total disabling of Spotlight and Finder. 

The thread is here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/What-is-going-on-with-Dropbox-on-MacOS-Spotli...

Did DropBox ever solve this problem? I had to do a hard reset on my MacBook Pro M1 (2020) and have never dared to take any new DropBox update since. Incredible really, given what I pay each year.

--DropBox User since 2010

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Gregor M., let's jump right into this! 

If I understand this correctly, it sounds like you're facing some issues with Spotlight, and Finder, is that right? If not, feel free to correct me, and let me know more. 

Would you be able to share some details, or even screenshots of what is exactly happening on your end, along with the Dropbox version that you use, in order for me to have a clear visual? 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

EFARR
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having the same problems, no spotlight search with dropbox folders, wasting all kinds of time.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Gregor M. Helpful | Level 6
    a1a1 Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?