cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What is really going to happen with CloudStorage?

What is really going to happen with CloudStorage?

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10

Hi, 

Luckily, my Dropbox folder is still in my home folder. I have Dropbox 179.4.4985 . Selective Sync and Smart Sync are completely off, all new files are on my hard drive by default. I'd like to keep it that way. 

Is it possible to just not install this Dropbox update that will move my Dropbox folder?

Can I upgrade to Ventura 13.5 without having to update to a Dropbox version that moves my home folder? 

Please inform neutrally. I'm not angry, I just want to make a decision that works for me. 

Thanks

15 Replies 15

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @g v., thanks for messaging the Community.

On the new Mac OS, it wouldn't be possible to prevent the update to the CloudStorage, since it is a requirement for the new File Provider.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10

Hi Jay, you mean if I don't upgrade to 13.5 I'm safe? 

the info page says "Note: While we recommend opting-in to the latest version of Dropbox for macOS on File Provider, this migration isn’t required for you to continue using Dropbox."

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @g v., sorry to jump in here! 

If you're using an OS that's higher than 12.5, you will be asked to update your app eventually, since this is a requirement by Apple. What is your OS at the moment? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10

I have 13.4.1(c) and the upgrade to 13.5 is possible but I didn't do it yet because I can't invest the time at the moment to deal with the consequences of all the Dx rearrangements.  So I am putting off 13.5 - unless you say that this won't force me to update Dx now. Will Dx force me to update immediately if I install 13.5? 

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10

I should add that I never use Smart Sync. As far as I understand, it is only Smart Sync that requires the use of the new File Provider API. So I would be fine with the old Dx app as long as it works and just won't update the Dx app (while keeping the macos up to date) if that is at all possible without too much nagging from the Dx app.  

Jay
Dropbox Staff

The File Provider API is more than just marking files as available offline or online-only. There are a lot of backend changes which affect how cloud services interact with Mac OS.  Some of the changes were listed in my original article I posted. 

Bear in mind that the Dropbox desktop application does update itself automatically, and the rollout to File Provider will eventually include all compatible Mac OS devices.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10

no one answering

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10

Several automatic backups point to the Dropbox folder in my home folder. Can I keep the Dropbox folder as it is and decide myself which things I want to keep there and which ones I migrate?

thanks. 

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10

Hi, is it possible to stop the upgrade to postpone it to a time where I have a week to organize things? Thanks. 

Need more support?