cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can I only back up specific folders?

Why can I only back up specific folders?

tescobedo8
New member | Level 2

I just started using the back up feature in Dropbox but it seems to only back up 3 folders: DOWNLOADS, DESKTOP & DOCUMENTS. I don't keep important stuff in any of these.  How do I select my 2 most important folders?  It doesn't seem to let me choose.

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II

@tescobedo8 wrote:

I just started using the back up feature in Dropbox but it seems to only back up 3 folders: DOWNLOADS, DESKTOP & DOCUMENTS. I don't keep important stuff in any of these.  How do I select my 2 most important folders?  It doesn't seem to let me choose.

You can't just select any folder. The backup feature only works with the key folders in your profile, such as Desktop, Documents and Downloads. It can't be used to backup just any folder from your computer. If you want other folders to sync, you'll need to move them into your Dropbox folder.

DavidAshcroft
New member | Level 2

I have the same issue.  If thats the only folders that DROPBOX can backup then its useless to me.  I send a request to DROPBOX support and the only answer was to put everything in the six assigned DROPBOX folders.  This product should allow us to pick any folders.  DROPBOX should support our way of work not make the world conform to their limited contraints.  No other software package I use hasany such restrictions.  

Clayton K.1
Helpful | Level 6

Also just learned that folders have to be in their default locations. Not cool. My OS drive is 500GB; my data drive is 3TB. All my profile folders (Documents, music, etc.) are on my larger drive, but DB won't back them up because they're not in the \users\xxxxx folder. Really disappointing.

William W.39
New member | Level 2

I concur Dropbox backup is useless, I want to backup the folders I choose not what they choose!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @William W.39, sorry to hear about that!

Would you be able to give us some additional details about your case? What has happened exactly?

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mhromalik
New member | Level 2

Can I backup my local folders archive of my email? I want to be able to backup a folder that is changing all the time but not just Documents or Downloads. Is that possible?

Rich
Super User II

@mhromalik wrote:

Can I backup my local folders archive of my email? I want to be able to backup a folder that is changing all the time but not just Documents or Downloads. Is that possible?

It hasn't changed. The backup feature can only back up key folders within your user profile, such as Desktop, Documents and Downloads, etc. If you want other folders to sync, you'll need to move them into your Dropbox folder.

www . c.
Helpful | Level 7

This is overlimited. 
Why is Dropbox not user friendly? 
Please provide a contact, I would be happy to work with your team to help make dropbox much more user-friendly.

aprilramone
New member | Level 2

This is a bizarre limitation on the usability of dropbox. I have to store everything in my Documents folder or one of the other 12 folders dropbox can see??? Why can't I just select the location where all my files are, or just back up my whole C drive? Also if I right-click another folder that's not in the generic list it has the option to "send to dropbox"? So I have to go through and manually select each folder? This is messed up.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

www . c. Helpful | Level 7
    aprilramone New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    mhromalik New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?