cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do these com.dropbox.attributes files show up everywhere?

Why do these com.dropbox.attributes files show up everywhere?

Richard W.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

These files are cluttering up my folders. There seems to be one for every real file that I have. I'd like to delete them.

What are they and where did they come from? And how can I stop them?

50 Replies 50

Bob M.58
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've identified the device as Andrea instructed, but for me to contact someone, I don't know, in our company in a different state, and division and ask them move their dropbox somewhere on their computer is not a good solution. Is there another way to do this?

Gary B.27
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I encountered this recently on my MacBook Pro, when I decided to create an exFAT partition for common files between OSX and Windows, such as the Dropbox folder. I thought I was being clever. Little did I know... Now I've got numerous recursive com.dropbox.attributes files overrunning my file system and clogging my resources. This is not acceptable. But is Dropbox completely to blame? Not 100%, I would say. More like 98%... Dropbox may not be liable for the very first .com.dropbox.attributes file that appears on a filesystem (like FAT or ExFAT) that does not natively support tags and extended attributes, but they sure as heck are responsible for all the recursion!
So, Dropbox, there are FEW things you need to do:
(1) WARN a user who is trying to link to an unsupported filesystem (an FS other than HFS and NTFS) that it is not advised and the user will experience side effects, such as all these extra tag/attribute files, (SHAME on Dropbox for not already having this simple mechanism in place!)
(2) SUPPRESS the recursion of these attribute files on the Dropbox server (and thus on the unsupported filesystem), and
(3) CREATE a server-based tool that will automatically clean up these extraneous files on the server, which should then percolate down to the clients.

Richard W.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Actually, I think that Dropbox needs to go further than this. They need to create an option that effectively kills these files if the user so wishes. Dropbox is heavily promoting dropbox for business to facilitate collaboration - but frankly this is an issue that would prevent me from using dropbox in a business setting. In fact, my collaborators and I have been transitioning to google drive - which does not have this issue.

Gary B.27
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Just to flesh this out a little bit... It's fine that the Dropbox system creates the first .com.dropbox.attributes file on the unsupported file system as a way to preserve info. But these extra files should never appear on the Dropbox server. The Dropbox software should use them for read/write purposes on the unsupported FS alone, but they should never appear on the Dropbox server or be propagated to another supported FS (like HFS or NTFS).
Also, Dropbox should give the user an option as to whether he wishes to have this extra file attribute info preserved in such files on the unsupported filesystems or whether to forgo the extra files and sacrifice the loss of that file information everywhere, both on the server and all supported and unsupported filesystems.

J. Tianrong
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Guys...
You have given so much suggestions to Dropbox. I do not think they realise and will solve the problem.
I say the problem will not be solved in a year time. Go find another cloud drive.

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all

Sorry for the delay - This should be fixed now. More info here  https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/201986045-com-dropbox-attributes-

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Daniel B.121
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

You can download Blueharvest from the Apple store to clean these files.  Program works great. Any Mac users should be using this service as it cleans up a huge number of these files and can be customized to keep files that are wanted - such as custom file icons or other such customizations.

Locate in Apple Store or Here: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20036/blueharvest

BTW - I don't work for or have any affiliation with Blueharvest - it just works for me.

Thx

Stefanie R.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi all, have only just discovered this problem so am playing catch up and hope you all can help. I'm running Vista and as far as I know, no fat32 drives have been involved. Found these files when I ran a rootkit scan with Spybot and was obviously concerned as to what they are. Will it cause any problems if I just delete them? Thankfully I don't have too many of them right now but I'm trying to clean up my system. Thanks!

Majd M.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the exact same problem.
No matter how many times i delete the attribute files, they always reappear.

I think this problem appeared when i started using both MAC OS and Windows for the same user.

I have been suffering from this for about a year now, my folders are filled with such trash files.
And dropbox are still ignoring this

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

To clarify, "._" files are MacOS X system files. The reason you see them is because the Mac Dropbox folder has been placed on a disk volume formatted with a non-Mac filesystem which doesn't respect the hidden attribute of those files. You can delete them, but they'll be recreated by your Mac every time you access those files.

The effect would have been mitigated by ensuring the target volume was first formatted to the native MacOS filesystem. However, I would also note that Dropbox are pretty clear that they don't support removable drives or network volumes.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Vladimir2 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Bob M.58 New member | Level 1
    Robert S. Super User alumni
What do Dropbox user levels mean?