cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Data Useage

Why is there so much data usage?

KJN
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I had in one day (on a day that I didn't use Dropbox) 2.11GB data useage attributed to dropbox. Since then I have used data saver to stop background data useage and this is the first day Dropbox has used such an excessive amount of data.

Has anyone had this happen and if so do they know what has caused this or how to stop this from occuring?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vernon
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi again,

Thanks for the additional info.

Please keep in mind that Dropbox constantly checks for update's on files as syncing is one of our main features. So, what may have happened is that the packages being sent from the app, due to the mobile data not being as steady as a wi-fi connection, were sent/received more times than usual because of failed attempts.

Hope this sheds some light into things.

Happy Holidays!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did I answer your question?---> Accept as Solution White check mark :nerd:
Kudos are always welcome! :bacon:

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Vernon
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi KJN,

Hope you are doing good.

You can find here (at the end of the article), what your Dropbox mobile app can do on a cellular network.

You did not use Dropbox at all this day? Did you by any chance access any uploaded files?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

KJN
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thank you Vernon. This at least lets me know that I can't set the app to be wifi only.

Unfortunately I did not access Dropbox (or any files stored there) on that day. I was thinking that if it was only 10's or 100's of MB I may have just forgotten that I accessed a file, however 2GB used in one day was what got me enquiring further.

Thanks again
KJN

Vernon
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi again,

Thanks for the additional info.

Please keep in mind that Dropbox constantly checks for update's on files as syncing is one of our main features. So, what may have happened is that the packages being sent from the app, due to the mobile data not being as steady as a wi-fi connection, were sent/received more times than usual because of failed attempts.

Hope this sheds some light into things.

Happy Holidays!

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi KJN,

Do you use the offline files/folders feature? Or have Camera Uploads enabled? Do you have files queued for upload? Do you use iOS 11's Files app? Or do you access your Dropbox files in any third party apps?

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

KJN
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you Maple,

From what I understand, I don't have any of the things you've mentioned. I guess that's the source of my query.

It's great to cross things off the list that I wasn't aware of though!

Cheers

Kieran

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi KJN,

Oops you're using Android, right? Ignore my weird comment about iOS 11's Files app.

Is the 2GB usage for a single day? If so, which day was it and what is the time frame it is shown for (midnight to midnight? which timezone?)?

iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

KJN
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

No problems regarding the iOS. Yes the data download was for a single day, midnight to midnight, on the 16th December. I am in the Australian Eastern Daylight Timezone. To be exact, it was 2.11Gb.

Thanks!

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi KJN,

This is very puzzling. I'm not seeing anything that could use that much data. If you see it again, please let me know.

When you check data usage can you also check how much storage the Dropbox app is using on your phone? If we see it grow the same amount as data used we can narrow it down to data that's being cached on disk (i.e. file contents).

iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

KJN
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks and will do!

Need more support?