cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Windows 7 Event Viewer Error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894)"

Windows 7 Event Viewer Error "Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894)"

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Onthe last few startups of my Windows 7 desktop, the EventViewer has shown the following error  and subsequent information logs as the error is corrected by Windows:

Record Number: X 95916
Log Type: Application
Event Type: Error
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 3
Event ID: 320

Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95931
Event Type: Information
Source: ESENT
Event ID: 300

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine is initiating recovery steps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95932
Event ID: 301

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has begun replaying logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS.log.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: 95933
Event ID: 302

Windows (2500) Windows: The database engine has successfully completed recovery steps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Number: i 95915
Source: DbxSvc
Category: 2
Event ID: 258

Pipe server thread started.

It seems as if the Dropbox service may be trying to start too soon as, after the initial error, Windows seems to be able to correct the problem and everything works correctly.  This is a very recent happening and I cannot relate the change to any system changes.  Is there anything I can do to stop the error - if I didn't regularly check the Event Viewer I would be none the wiser so perhaps I'm being too sensitive.

Thanks.

254 Replies 254

Loopback
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

the error is still present with the latest DB version (16.4.30). I did some research for the error code -2147024894, which if converted to a 32 bit hexadecimal value results to 0x80070002. I found a registry for those values at Symantec, and it revealed it to be of type "Win32 Error Codes for ADSI". Additional Research at Microsofts Developer Network showed a bit more details: Looks like it is the error code for a failed LDAP request (LDAP_NO_SUCH_OBJECT). So the questions seems to be: Why does DB do LDAP (or Active Directory with Windows) requests? And will the observed error within Event Viewer only happen with Windows PCs that are not members of an Active Directory?

I did some further investigation and figured out that the error was safely reproducible every time the "DbxSvc" service starts. Hence inside service manager I stopped this service and started Wireshark and SysInternal's Process Monitor in order to see what happens after I have started the service again (this way provoking the error to happen once more).

These are the results: During service start no network activity could be observed. All file and registy access of the process named "DbxSvc.exe" didn't reveal any hints that something went wrong (no results more critical (but normal) than "NAME NOT FOUND" or "BUFFER OVERFLOW" with registy access or "FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS" with file access).

Only the last registry access asks for the value of "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\WMR\Disable", probably to check if errors should be reported to Microsoft.

Hence, it's still a mystery why this error happens. This thread says, that this service isn't even needed to use DB:

"You noted sync still appears to work correctly without this service however should you encounter any sync issues with the service removed it will limit our ability to resolve the issue."

Btw: The OP reported about ESENT messages he believes cause a recovery from the error state. With my PC I also see these ESENT messages but they happen at other times than the DbxSvc.exe error - hence, I believe they are independent from each other.

orion44
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Dropbox support has informed me they will not be fixing this error.

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Orion:  Did you get this information, regarding Dropbox not fixing the error, while on one of your time travelling escapades or is this December 2016/January 2017 information?  It seems odd that Dropbox are happy to accept a bug in their software albeit afairly harmless one.

Loopback:  As the OP of this thread I thank you for your input and the research you have done.  I assumed, incorrectly, that the ESENT items in the Event Viewer report related to the Dropbox error as they followed immediately afterwards, mentioned 'recovered' and Dropbox worked correctly afterwards so it was just coincidence.

Has anyone other, than Алексей Д.1, tried his MKLINK workaround?  If it works it would at least tidy up the Event Viewer reports even if it does not actually fix the bug.

orion44
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, Luke from Dropbox support told me directly.  The issue doesn't prevent syncing, so it won't be fixed.

I tried the MKLINK workaround Алексей Д.1 posted and the errors were still logged.  So I uninstalled Dropbox - no more errors!

glatzfront
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@orion44 wrote:
Dropbox support has informed me they will not be fixing this error.

Nor will they tell us what the issue is!

Loopback
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Maybe driver dbx and service dbxsvc are key functions needed for strategic "Project Infinite"?

See Dropbox filesystem integration: an overview and Going deeper with Project Infinite.

If so, when not using Infinite, can service DbxSvc simply be stopped and deactivated in Service Manager without any negative impact on standard sync behaviour between web store and local copy?

mat-glock
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I'm seeing this error... my computer reboot once yesterday (I figured it was a random thing, did not look into it).  It reboot again today and I checked... same "DbxSvc" issue.  

So now Dropbox support says they won't fix it?  That is arrogance or incompetence.  

I purcahsed in Nov 2016 so I'm not that far into it... luckily I purchased for cheap so I'm not worried about it... will keep using onedrive.  

Sorry all of you are doing through this... terrible.  

At least I know what is causing it... I uninstalled this crappy software from my system.  

Kester
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi All,

I contacted Dropbox Technical Services via the webform to get confirmation of Dropbox's policy on this bug but just got the standard automated response containing a link to FAQs - useless and pointless regarding this particular issue. 

Ticket #5358726: DB: DbxSvc error in Event Viewer

Hi there,

Yes, this reply is automated. And yes, we understand that might be frustrating to hear.

Truth is we’d love to chat one-on-one. But we’ve got a totally revamped self-serve tool, and it really is the best path to the fastest, most relevant answer to your question.

Simply click this link and select the issue that best describes your question. You’ll see steps to take to resolve your issue or what information we need from you to help. You’ll be Dropboxing again in no time.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/9223?ref=ar

We’re sincerely grateful to you for using Dropbox.

The Dropbox Team

Mat-Glock reflects many users' opinion of Dropbox if this is their attitude.  I may be only a free version user, Mat paid for his and certainly deserves a better standard of customer care, but free version users also deserve better service and are potential paying customers when they like what they get.  Any software developer who is prepared to leave a bug does not deserve to be trusted, what other bugs might they leave unaddressed in the future?

It is also telling that very little interest has been shown in this thread by Dropbox personnel who might have injected some useful input.

orion44
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Maybe they'll listen if more people submit help requests to Dropbox Technical Services .  This forum just serves as a black hole for support requests, Dropbox employees don't browse it or just don't care.

vkapartzianis
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Loopback wrote:

Maybe driver dbx and service dbxsvc are key functions needed for strategic "Project Infinite"?

See Dropbox filesystem integration: an overview and Going deeper with Project Infinite.

That would be my best guess, too. They need this service present in the installation package because they're still developing it, even though it just fails for now. And they'd rather spend more time in the service's development than in removing it from "production" deployments.

Otherwise, this whole mess would be totally outrageous. It still is very unprofessional, they're installing a service that doesn't work and a file system driver that doesn't load at all, there's no doubting it by now.

Need more support?