cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wish to move Dropbox Folder Location to ~library/cloudstorage in macOS 13.2

Wish to move Dropbox Folder Location to ~library/cloudstorage in macOS 13.2

AllThisnTrvlToo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

HI One and All,  

Was running beta version for MacOS 13 - all good on multiple MacOS installs except one.  Always syncing never completing even after numerous reboots etc.   Dropbox Support kindly assisted me with removing beta and installing latest manually.

However after that process my Dropbox Location reverted from ~library/cloudstorage to the old HomeUsername/ Dropbox location.
I am supposedly running the correct Dropbox version for MacOS 13.

Support has once again helped with a link to download DropboxInstaller.dmg and it installed but without a single dialogue or popup .... also strange I thought.

Still, my Dropbox location is not where it should be:  ~library/ Cloudstorage/ Dropbox 
All is running well but, it should be in the correct location, don't you think?

I'm running MacOS13.2 with Dropbox v166.4.2920.  
On Dropbox.com, EarlyReleases in Setting is OFF.
on the iMac Dropbox has Full Disk Access & Accessibility.

Machine has been Restarted following most recent installation.

Everything is Up To Date, files and Dropbox Backup for various attached drives.

I would like to ensure Dropbox is installed where it should be but am unable to select the location "~Library/ CloudStorage".

Any thought please? And thanks in advance! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@AllThisnTrvlToo wrote:

Dropbox Support kindly assisted me with removing beta and installing latest manually. However after that process my Dropbox Location reverted from ~library/cloudstorage to the old HomeUsername/ Dropbox location.

The relocation of your Dropbox folder to ~Library/CloudStorage is part of the beta and has not rolled out to all users yet. The only way to have that experience back is to run the beta and then await notification that your account is ready for the update. The update will roll out to all users between now and the end of May.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@AllThisnTrvlToo wrote:

Dropbox Support kindly assisted me with removing beta and installing latest manually. However after that process my Dropbox Location reverted from ~library/cloudstorage to the old HomeUsername/ Dropbox location.

The relocation of your Dropbox folder to ~Library/CloudStorage is part of the beta and has not rolled out to all users yet. The only way to have that experience back is to run the beta and then await notification that your account is ready for the update. The update will roll out to all users between now and the end of May.

AllThisnTrvlToo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks Rich - I didn't realise the Dropbox production version for MacOS13.2 wasn't for everyone, as I've had two other of my Dropbox Family Laptops receive the notification to update and are running happily.    
I will wait patiently then for my turn.  All is working well.  
Cheers & thanks!

fssbob
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I currently have my Dropbox folder in a custom location.

I'm considering manually moving the folder to ~Library/CloudStorage in advance of receiving the new version, so I can do a controlled update of all my scripts that access Dropbox locations and avoid any issues associated with the automated move.

1) Will the update freak out and do something stupid if the folder is already in the new location?

2) Any tips to consider when manually moving my folder?

Also, just to confirm, I'm assuming the new Dropbox folder will be ~Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox; i.e., it will still have the name "Dropbox", but be located within ~Library/CloudStorage. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @fssbob, how are you today?

I'd personally suggest that you let the app do the move for you. That way everything would go according to plan, and based on the careful, migrating steps we've designed to make this process as smooth and user-friendly as possible. 

Some tips when manually moving your Dropbox folder, along with the steps can be found here. And yes, the name of the folder will remain " Dropbox ".

I hope this clarifies!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

fssbob
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Thanks. I've had to change my Dropbox folder location several times, and am quite familiar with the process.

I'd still like to have complete control over when and how the move happens so I don't have a lot of scripts and other things blowing up. So I'd prefer to do it manually. But my concern is: When the upgrade program kicks off, can it handle the folder already being in the correct location and not do something stupid (like try and "move" it anyway)?

fssbob
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Update: I've completed the migration process, and now I understand why it really needs to be handled by the migration program.

Overall I like the new setup. I have a couple of questions that I'll ask in different threads to avoid confusing this one.

I do wish Dropbox had provided more thorough documentation about the new technical setup and migration process for those who have a technical background and want to know.

Thanks.

Greensandz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Where is ~Library/CloudStorage ?? I’m using a MacBook Pro thank you

fssbob
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

It's [your user]/Library/CloudStorage. "Library" is normally invisible--you have to show invisible items to see it.

But normally you should never need to get there that way. The Dropbox folder should appear in Finder as one of your Locations.

Greensandz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thank you - Dropbox no longer shows up in finder - I looked in USER - i guess it is invisible- can’t find library
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greensandz Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    fssbob Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?