cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two dropbox folders inadvertently created -- how to merge?

two dropbox folders inadvertently created -- how to merge?

Tallis
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi all,

I've had dropbox for a decade, and it always worked fine.  Four years ago, I discovered that the dropbox folder on my C drive was running out of space.  So I moved it to the F drive ("Documents & Data") which is much larger.  No problem;  everything still worked fine.

But suddenly it isn't.  As of two months ago, it seems my regular dropbox folder (on the F drive) is not syncing anymore.  Instead, a nearly duplicate dropbox folder on the C drive has become the default... though, I haven't been saving things there locally so two months of work have not been saved online.

I'd prefer to keep everything on the F drive, which is much larger, but I can't figure out how to merge the two folders and get rid of the duplicate.  When I went to preferences and tried to redirect syncing to the F drive, it balked, saying there was already a file named "Dropbox" there.

I thought about deleting the unwanted C drive folder to see if that will help -- after making sure that there are no newer file versions there, which I think I can do -- but I'm nervous about doing so because it claims it'll delete those files everywhere.  Which I don't want.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions... this whole thing is making my head spin!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Tallis, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

It sounds like you tried to delete the syncing copy of your Dropbox folder (the one on your C drive) and not the local copy on your F drive which would lead to the deletion of your files in Dropbox as the desktop app would sync those across your devices and the website as well. 

At this point, if you made sure that the desktop app is up to date in your system tray and not still syncing, you can unlink your account from the app's preferences under the Account tab and then re-link it using the path of your Dropbox folder in your F drive and let the app sync your changes and/or re-index your files. 

For example, if your old Dropbox folder was added to: F:\Desktop\Dropbox you would need to choose F:\Desktop and the client will try and create a new Dropbox folder. If you're connecting with the same Dropbox account as before, Dropbox will detect the existing folder and will then prompt you to merge the Dropbox folder. Upon merging the desktop version of Dropbox will check the existing files and the server versions and update accordingly.

Just keep in mind that any changes made to the files in the Dropbox folder or on the web interface while the folder was "offline" will generate conflicted copies.

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Tallis, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

It sounds like you tried to delete the syncing copy of your Dropbox folder (the one on your C drive) and not the local copy on your F drive which would lead to the deletion of your files in Dropbox as the desktop app would sync those across your devices and the website as well. 

At this point, if you made sure that the desktop app is up to date in your system tray and not still syncing, you can unlink your account from the app's preferences under the Account tab and then re-link it using the path of your Dropbox folder in your F drive and let the app sync your changes and/or re-index your files. 

For example, if your old Dropbox folder was added to: F:\Desktop\Dropbox you would need to choose F:\Desktop and the client will try and create a new Dropbox folder. If you're connecting with the same Dropbox account as before, Dropbox will detect the existing folder and will then prompt you to merge the Dropbox folder. Upon merging the desktop version of Dropbox will check the existing files and the server versions and update accordingly.

Just keep in mind that any changes made to the files in the Dropbox folder or on the web interface while the folder was "offline" will generate conflicted copies.

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Tallis
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

Thanks so much for your reply!  I managed to get the dropbox folder onto the F drive.  It didn't prompt me to merge folders, though, so I'm having to do it manually... which is tedious, but I'll get there, and then I can delete the other folder.

Many thanks!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Tallis Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?