cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A file in my Dropbox folder can't be synced due to OneDrive, also can't be ignored. What can I do?

A file in my Dropbox folder can't be synced due to OneDrive, also can't be ignored. What can I do?

Nuno_Viegas
Helpful | Level 5

Hi guys.
I have been using Dropbox for many years but my company started using OneDrive.
But, I would like to keep all documents in Dropbox to keep everything centralized and just one app on the phone. I've tried to direct OneDrive to a folder inside Dropbox but it turns out that there is always a file that Dropbox can't sync because it's always in use by OneDrive so Dropbox can't sync it. The file starts with ".849..." and it is a system and hidden file.
If by chance I stop the OneDrive service the file is synchronized but when I start again with OneDrive it gives me an error and I no longer have synchronization with OneDrive. I have already tried to ignore the synchronization file but without success with the command "Set-Content -Path 'D:\NunoViegas\Dropbox\OneDrive\Werfen\HLIT PT - General\.849C9593-D756-4E56-8D6E-42412F2A707B' -Stream com. dropbox.ignored -Value 1". Is not marking to ignore it.
Is there a way to skip this file? Or hidden and/or system files?
Has anyone tried this?
Thanks a lot.
Best regards

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @Nuno_Viegas, I hope you're doing well today!

Just so that I can have a bit more info on this, can you let me know which version of the desktop app you have installed?

Also, is this file located within your Dropbox folder? Do you have a symlink or shortcut to this file in another location or vice versa?

Knowing where the actual file itself lies would be very helpful.

Let me know and we'll go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Nuno_Viegas
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Daphne.

Thanks for your help.

I'm using Dropbox version 95.3.437.

The file is located in the Dropbox folder. No symlink or shortcut.

The file is in D:\NunoViegas\Dropbox\OneDrive\Werfen\HLIT PT - General\ where Dropbox is my Dropbox folder and OneDrive is my OneDrive folder.

The file calls ".849C9593-D756-4E56-8D6E-42412F2A707B" and is always being used by OneDrive. And it is a hidden and system file.

File.jpg

Thanks

Rich
Super User II

It's not recommended, at all, to place one service's sync folder inside that of another service. Conflicts like the one you're seeing are bound to happen, and such a configuration cannot be supported by Dropbox.

Nuno_Viegas
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Rich.

I know that.

But if i can't do this, i have to move everything from dropbox to OneDrive.

And really didn't want that.

I belive that excluding that file from sync will resolve the problem.

Or if Dropbox ignore system and/or hidden files.

serano9
Explorer | Level 4

Rich-  Bro, no crap.  Did you listen to his question?  No.  If you don't know the answer don't respond with some sure shot advice that's even what the original poster is asking.  its not helpful.  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

serano9 Explorer | Level 4
    Nuno_Viegas Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?