cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Apple IOS Change to Upload Multiple Pics/Files to Dropbox

Apple IOS Change to Upload Multiple Pics/Files to Dropbox

Moirons1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

It seems that Apple have made changes to their IOS that limits the upload of pictures and files to a dropbox folder to one image at a time.

Previous to the latest IOS upgrade you could select any number of images and upload them to a dropbox folder (I did this frequently) but now you can only do one image at a time.  

Apple clearly pushing users to the icloud!  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

notwebsafe
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

For what it's worth, I don't think this workflow is at all discoverable. There's no reason I would have thought to go to the Files app in order to enable Dropbox save from the Photos app, and even within the Files app it's not obvious how you turn it on. It would make more sense if it were a setting in Dropbox itself, but I'm guessing that's not possible.

Just to make it clear how to do this for people who haven't figured it out yet:

1. Open the iOS Files app
  2. Tap on "Browse"
  3. If you're already in a folder, hit the back ("<") button in the upper left
  4. From the "..." button in the upper right, tap Edit
  5. You should now see "Dropbox" under "Locations" with a switch. Turn the switch on.
  6. In Photos, select some photos and tap the Share button.
  7. Tap "Save to Files"
  8. You should now see "Dropbox" as an option under Save to Files.

From now on you should always get Dropbox as an option - you should never need to redo steps 1-5. However, the first time I did this, "Dropbox" was grayed out in step 8. I killed Files, Photos, and Dropbox, then reopened Dropbox and Photos, and eventually Dropbox became enabled. It's possible none of that was necessary and it just needed a little time to retrieve the list of folders from Dropbox.

(Frankly, the design of the Files app itself seems confusing. "Edit" is a weirdly generic verb for "configure the list of locations to show files from".)

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Still works just fine for me, on the latest iOS. I've sent multiple files from my Camera Roll to Dropbox via the Files app, and directly within the Dropbox app.

What steps, exactly, are you taking to upload your files?

Moirons1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

1. Open Photos

2. Select multiple pics

3. select upload button bottom left

4. up comes the options (use to have dropbox as an option)

5. Select More... (still no dropbox)

Note, when I do one pic, drop box is there as an option in 4.

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

How about : 

1. Open Dropbox app
  2. Click the +/Create button and choose Upload Photos
  3. Select your photos
  4. Click Next
  5. Choose you upload folder
  6. Click Upload.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Moirons1 wrote:

1. Open Photos

2. Select multiple pics

3. select upload button bottom left

4. up comes the options (use to have dropbox as an option)

5. Select More... (still no dropbox)

You do it through Files. It's been like that for quite a while now.

1. Open Photos
  2. Select multiple photos
  3. Tap the Share icon in the bottom-left
  4. Tap Save to Files in the available choices
  5. Tap Dropbox
  6. Select the folder to save them to
  7. Tap Save

Moirons1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

therein lay the problem at step 5 because Dropbox is NO LONGER an option UNLESS you only choose 1 image!

Moirons1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

This works as long as you are not interrogating the meta-data to identify the files to save, ie if I want all of the pictures I took at Melbourne Airport to go into a Melbourne Airport File, I can't search by area using this workaround.  Previously, I could go into IOS image search, select Melbourne Airport then select the images I want and upload them to the relevant folder.  

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Moirons1 wrote:

therein lay the problem at step 5 because Dropbox is NO LONGER an option UNLESS you only choose 1 image!

As I said... You don't choose Dropbox. You choose Save to Files, and then Dropbox is an option within the Files app.

Previously, I could go into IOS image search, select Melbourne Airport then select the images I want and upload them to the relevant folder.  

And you still can. I just opened Photos, tapped Search and entered a city name that I visited recently. When some of the images appeared in the results, I tapped See All to see the full results. I tapped Select and then tapped a number of images to slect them. There were five images selected. I then tapped the Share icon in the bottom-right. In the list that appears, I selected Save to Files then Tapped Dropbox to load a list of the folders in my account. I tapped the folder that I wanted to save the images to and then tapped Save. It worked perfectly.

If you're not seeing Dropbox as an option with the Files app, make sure you've opened Files and enabled the Dropbox option.

notwebsafe
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

For what it's worth, I don't think this workflow is at all discoverable. There's no reason I would have thought to go to the Files app in order to enable Dropbox save from the Photos app, and even within the Files app it's not obvious how you turn it on. It would make more sense if it were a setting in Dropbox itself, but I'm guessing that's not possible.

Just to make it clear how to do this for people who haven't figured it out yet:

1. Open the iOS Files app
  2. Tap on "Browse"
  3. If you're already in a folder, hit the back ("<") button in the upper left
  4. From the "..." button in the upper right, tap Edit
  5. You should now see "Dropbox" under "Locations" with a switch. Turn the switch on.
  6. In Photos, select some photos and tap the Share button.
  7. Tap "Save to Files"
  8. You should now see "Dropbox" as an option under Save to Files.

From now on you should always get Dropbox as an option - you should never need to redo steps 1-5. However, the first time I did this, "Dropbox" was grayed out in step 8. I killed Files, Photos, and Dropbox, then reopened Dropbox and Photos, and eventually Dropbox became enabled. It's possible none of that was necessary and it just needed a little time to retrieve the list of folders from Dropbox.

(Frankly, the design of the Files app itself seems confusing. "Edit" is a weirdly generic verb for "configure the list of locations to show files from".)

Need more support?