cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Badge app icon will not go away.

Badge app icon will not go away.

New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm running Sierra on a Macbook Pro.

I've turned off ALL Dropbox notifications in the Mac preferences and have turned off noticiations within the Dropbox app settings. And still, every time someone comments on a shared file the bright red badge app icon appears. I do not want this. 

Is there something I'm missing? 

Thank you in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @04052018,

Thanks for the additional info - much appreciated.

Even though this is not within my scope of expertise since this is clearly an Apple thing,  I was able to find this for you.

To disable the Red Badge Alerts on Dock Icons in Mac OS X, you can open System Preferences from the  Apple menu and choose “Notifications” . Then, choose the app from the left side, then uncheck the box next to “Badge app icon”. 

I hope this helps and keep in mind that you'd need to contact Apple for further resolution since this is not related to Dropbox in any way. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@04052018 wrote:

I've turned off ALL Dropbox notifications in the Mac preferences and have turned off noticiations within the Dropbox app settings. And still, every time someone comments on a shared file the bright red badge app icon appears. I do not want this. 

Is there something I'm missing? 

Thank you in advance. 

Hello, @04052018...

Take a look at this Help Center article...  perhaps the second sentence below the title might work (I'm not sure it will prevent it from popping-up again since I cannot test it at the moment).

Minato
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @04052018,

Can you send a screenshot of the badge you mention?

As there are some types of notifications that can't be removed.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Minato
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there,

Thank you for the response! It looks just like the "Notifications" icon below except on the Dropbox icon in the top menu bar on a Mac. It will have a number inside the red circle, indicating how many notifications are unread. 

1970i0AF9D3518517B9C7.png

New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi there,

It's not the Dropbox badge I'm referring to. I'm referring to the red circle notification (called "badge app icon") in the menu bar on a Mac.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @04052018,

Thanks for the additional info - much appreciated.

Even though this is not within my scope of expertise since this is clearly an Apple thing,  I was able to find this for you.

To disable the Red Badge Alerts on Dock Icons in Mac OS X, you can open System Preferences from the  Apple menu and choose “Notifications” . Then, choose the app from the left side, then uncheck the box next to “Badge app icon”. 

I hope this helps and keep in mind that you'd need to contact Apple for further resolution since this is not related to Dropbox in any way. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there, 

I assumed it was an Apple thing, but since I already have "Badge App Icon" unchecked (in the original post I mentioned ALL notifs are unchecked) I thought it may be a Dropbox issue for whatever reason. 

Thank you for the response!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

04052018 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Minato Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?