cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't sync due to low disk space

Can't sync due to low disk space

TheAtanaGroup
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Very annoying. Dropbox is giving me the 'can't sync due to low disk space' message - this is on a new system with a 1TB drive with 260G available. We have a 50G biz account, and we're using about 4% of it. ATM, this is the only machine attached to it. 

Please fix this, guys. OneDrive/MS doesn't need any more money.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey everyone (@TheAtanaGroup & @Roryb), 

We’ll be glad to take a closer look. If you would you like for our team to investigate this further, you can either submit a ticket here, or I can get one going for you from my end. Let me know. 

Thanks

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @TheAtanaGroup - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Sorry to hear about this - let's have a look into it now. 

The low disk space error you see is likely coming from your computer's OS and is referring to your local hard disk space. If you see that you are still well below your quota on the web, it is probably because the hard drive you store your Dropbox Folder is out of free space and won't be able to accommodate all of your data. Since files stored in your Dropbox are also stored on your computer, your hard drive must have enough space to store the files that are in your account. 

Also note that you can alsways use our Selective Sync feature which comes in handy in situations where you have files which you would like to keep but don't need them taking up space on your hard drive.

Last but not least, have you considered using our Smart Sync feature which will enable you to set files to be ‘online-only’?  In this way, the files will be removed from your computer and will take up practically no space.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted. If this problem persists, feel free to include a screenshot of the exact error you get to have a better look or even better log a ticket with our team and let me know a ticket ID so I can follow up with more info about this internally. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Roryb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same issue. I have way more space on my machine than in dropbox and it keeps dropping out with low disk space warnings with over 90Gb freed and trying to sync a 1mb file. 

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Roryb, welcome to Dropbox Community!

A screenshot of the warnings you receive (omitting any personal information) would be very helpful. 

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey guys (@TheAtanaGroup & @Roryb), 

I’m just checking in to see how this is going. If you are still experiencing this, please write in to our support team here for further assistance.

If the Dropbox account you’re concerned with is associated to the same email address as your forum profile, let me know, and I’ll be happy to create a support ticket for you. 

Have a great weekend :sunglasses:

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

TheAtanaGroup
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Did you even read what I posted?  Re: "The low disk space error you see is likely coming from your computer's OS and is referring to your local hard disk space." -- This is incorrect.  But make sure you guys vote it up as a solution, at least until you get it fixed.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It is accurate and correct information TheAtanaGroup, but, if thats NOT happening for you as has been requested can you log a ticket and post screenshots.

Remember as well that if your Dropbox folder is not on the main drive (i.e. C usually) it could be one of the two drives thats causing the issue.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Roryb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It was not accurate for me and it would appear for the earlier poster. There is a lot of space on my chance with a single drive and Dropbox keeps complaining. It would appear that the issue is realted to either the Dropbox cache or the Drive Cache and Dropboxes inability to measure this accurately after a recent update leading to a false warning about low disk space. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Hence a request to log a ticket if not already done so and post screengrabs. Oh and version numbers help so things can be logged together 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

TheAtanaGroup
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

All I can do is respond in the context of what I posted - it's certainly not accurate on my box, when I have nearly 500 gig available at this point and still get the error on a DB subscription that should only allow us 50G of storage. You can post whatever you like - the fact remains that DB on my box is getting it wrong. I suspect there's an issue in the local executable where the API call to GetDiskFreeSpaceEx is throwing an exception, and there's a handler that's just catching it and returning a fail. Unless you're doing something like using WMI or something to allocate disk space (any of that 'SELECT * FROM Win32_DiskQuota' stuff is asking for trouble in a distributed production environment)

Regardless, your post is incorrect, at least for my box and configuration. There's plenty of disk space on this box.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    MitchMcAlistair New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    Roryb Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?