cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot rename or move a folder that has been shared - should this be possible?

Cannot rename or move a folder that has been shared - should this be possible?

Susan D.11
Explorer | Level 4

A co-worker of mine is having challenges with folders that have been shared with him by a vendor.  Sometimes the name of the folder is too vague, and he would like to rename the folder with the date for clarification.  Every time he tries to rename the folder, it won't work.  Is this not a feature that is offered, since he did not create the folder in the first place?

Also, when he is added to a folder, is it not an option for him to drag that folder into another folder within his Dropbox account?  When this folder has been shared by a vendor, he gets an error message when attempting to do this.  However, if it is a folder that has been shared with him as part of our Dropbox Team (I'm an Admin), then when he tries to drag the folder elsewhere, it makes a second copy of the folder.

Hoping for insight, please.  If these options are not possible, it would be good to know.  Thanks in advance for your help!

16 Replies 16

Jay
Dropbox Staff

This option would only be available if you're using the new team space

Is the co-worker who moved the folder an admin or a member? Do they have edit access to the team folder itself?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Susan D.11
Explorer | Level 4

I don't believe we are using the "Team Space" function.  The person who moved the folder that was shared with him by a vendor is a Member of the Team, not an Admin.  By doing this on the website, he has found a workaround, so I believe he should be OK moving forward.  Hopefully, this is a functionality that can be added one day to the app.  Truly appreciate your help!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

No worries, if you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

ironcove
Explorer | Level 4

How do you STOP a person from RENAMING a Folder? Is this possible where you can lock the name of the folder? My caps are an emphasis and not yelling. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ironcove, it depends on the type of folder you're referring to. Is this a normal shared folder (or subfolder in a shared folder), or a team folder if you're in a Dropbox Business team?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

ironcove
Explorer | Level 4

So I am NOT able to rename a Team Folder, which is the desired effect. However is there a way to enforce no renaming of subfolders of a Team Folder like this error message?

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 2.09.51 PM.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ironcove, sorry to jump in, but I was wondering if restricting top-level editing would  work for what you had in mind.

Could you have a look here and let us know if that would do the trick? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?