cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer backup "can't backup without permissions" error for Documents folder. How can I fix this?

Computer backup "can't backup without permissions" error for Documents folder. How can I fix this?

scarkeet
New member | Level 2

I'm trying to have DB back up my documents folder, but it keeps saying "cant backup without permission". Ive already set it to read and write for all users. How do I fix this?

16 Replies 16

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hi @scarkeet, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Can you let me know which version of the desktop app you have installed at the moment and your OS version?

Also, are you trying to set this up on a profile that has admin permissions on the computer?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

montygg
New member | Level 2

Hey, I'm also having this issue.

I'm pretty sure i've got the latest version of drop box and even though i've got everything set to 'read & write' and tried all the different options.

Any Advice?

Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 16.48.02.png

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for joining us @montygg!

If you haven't already, can you let me know if you've checked out the steps under "Troubleshoot computer backup" in this article?

More specifically, if you've allowed access to files and folders for Dropbox in your device's settings.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dominicperry
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem. I've run the commands in Terminal shown in the linked page (linked from the Dropbox app when you get the error), I've allowed Full Disk Permissions for Dropbox and run Disk First Aid. I've rebooted repeatedly. No change. The error persists.

MacBook Pro 2015, 15", MacOS 10.15.7

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for joining us here @dominicperry!

Since you've checked most of the relevant steps there, I've reached out to the email linked with your profile here so that we can look into this alongside some device specific info.

When you have the time, please check your inbox for my message and get back to me there - cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Kristinn S.
New member | Level 2

I had this problem and went through the troubleshoot without success.

I went to the folders in question (documents and music in my case) and there I could see a alias folder created by Dropbox and then I could see the files and/or folders that could not be synced. I manually dragged the to the dropbox alias and input my Admin password when prompted.

I was then able to go back to the Dropbox app and select the folders again and press save and everything went OK after that.

Hope this helps someone out there.

BrooksB
Explorer | Level 3

I too am having this issue with permissions and have tried the Help article's command lines in terminal. In my instance, the Dropbox folder is not located in the standard /Dropbox location, so I replaced ~/Dropbox with my my file location. This led to the following set of command lines:

sudo chflags -R nouchg "/Users/myname/Dropbox (CATCH Global)" ~/.dropbox ~/.dropbox-master

sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "$USER" "/Users/myname/Dropbox (CATCH Global)" ~/.dropbox

sudo chmod -RN ~/.dropbox "/Users/myname/Dropbox (CATCH Global)"

chmod -R u+rw "/Users/myname/Dropbox (CATCH Global)" ~/.dropbox

After running the first command line, I get the following error: 

chflags: /Users/myname/.dropbox ~/.dropbox-master: No such file or directory

Am I entering this incorrectly? I have tried all other steps also listed in this help article, to no avail.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @BrooksB, if you're getting that error, then it means those two folders don't exist in that location. Are you certain you've entered the 'nyname' portion correctly, exactly as it appears in the hard drive location?

What happens if you continue with the rest of the steps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

BrooksB
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Jay, 

I followed steps to pull the exact folder location using terminal, so I think I have it correct. I have two Dropbox accounts on my computer, though; one personal and one for work. Does that matter?

All of the other steps seem to work (i.e. no errors), but this first one does not. If I remove ~/.dropbox-master from the first command line, it also works (no error).

Appreciate your help!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    BrooksB Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?