cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy public link is not working on dropbox.com

Copy public link is not working on dropbox.com

Seneca M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi I've been using that COPY PUBLIC LINK from dropbox.com for years and at first it used to actually copy it to the windows copy buffer as it should.  Over the past couple of months it would pop the address as it should but it stopped being able to automatically copy to the copy buffer, but luckily i could still do it myself manually by manually selecting the text and hitting ctrl-c.  In the latest build of dropbox.com, it doesn't even list the address to the file anymore and obviously it couldn't copy to the buffer beforehands but now i can't do it manually either!  😞

so i can't share any files from dropbox.com right now!  😞  I've tried in both google chrome and firefox and same issue with both.  As for which version of windows i'm running, it's the up to date win10....   Thanks in advance.

-seneca

105 Replies 105

SEBASTIAN R.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Richard P.

I don't have the time to play with this workaround, there are other services that do teh same as dropbox did, select a file, and copy the damned link, if it doesn't work tomorrow I'll have to move my entire database to a different service provider because i need to work and have constant access to my database.

I don't have the time to fiddle with typing into the link when even google drive never has this issue (aside from security issues, otherwise I would use theirs service).

Paul W.61
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem! Come on, all my clients are hassling me for their artwork!!

Yoni E.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

same issue! 

I can't copy COPY PUBLIC LINK from dropbox.com .

Dropbox team WAKE UP !!!!

Fresh Wind C.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

We noticed last week that only the long URL worked, the short URL option did not generate the URL as usual. This week the copy shared link does not work at all. Apparently we are in the same boat as others. DropBox we all need for you to fix this broken feature.

Mark M.62
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Sorry but "very annoying" doesn't come close to capturing the seriousness of this problem which is now several days old and symptomatic of a larger configuration management and testing problem.  

I love DropBox.  But I want some love in return.  And I want it now.   

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox is aware of this issue. I'll post another reply as soon as more information is available.

Cross-linking for reference:

• [removed old links]

This reply will be updated with other posts as they are closed and redirected here.

Alexander C.13
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Sample problem here 😞

kind regards

Jeroen B.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same problem. A "work around" I was not aware of does help me for now, perhaps it can help others that have responded here: 

I go to the file I want to have the public link from using my Windows File browser:

Next I use the right-click function to open up a follow up menu:

Next I click "Copy public link" (the menu is in Dutch, it's the option "Openbare link kopiëren.." and the link is properly put in the clipboard. 

This works for me for now, hopefully some of you are helped with this temporary work around as well, it seems DropBox is now well aware of the problem in the web environment and working on it.

Cheers,

Jeroen.

DJ F.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Jereon B has the right answer.

I opened the Dropbox folder on my computer and then right clicked on the picture I wanted and chose "copy public link". It copied the correct link and my picture posted the way I wanted it to.

Thanks!

SEBASTIAN R.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm not using the software app because I use the external web browser as storage for work stuff.

I have access to dropbox from work so i don't need to do this and have gazilion copies of the same files, cuz that basically kills the idea of having access to your files externally.

Than, while most of users will apreciate this solution, I am currently moving files to another service, because it seems i'll need to drop the box.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Oscar Y. New member | Level 2
    Mohammed L.1 Explorer | Level 3
    Stefanie Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?