cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy public link is not working on dropbox.com

Copy public link is not working on dropbox.com

Seneca M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi I've been using that COPY PUBLIC LINK from dropbox.com for years and at first it used to actually copy it to the windows copy buffer as it should.  Over the past couple of months it would pop the address as it should but it stopped being able to automatically copy to the copy buffer, but luckily i could still do it myself manually by manually selecting the text and hitting ctrl-c.  In the latest build of dropbox.com, it doesn't even list the address to the file anymore and obviously it couldn't copy to the buffer beforehands but now i can't do it manually either!  😞

so i can't share any files from dropbox.com right now!  😞  I've tried in both google chrome and firefox and same issue with both.  As for which version of windows i'm running, it's the up to date win10....   Thanks in advance.

-seneca

105 Replies 105

Alastair G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

OK, Rich R - are you with Dropbox? In which case can you please run me through the procedure for copying a link, in my case an audio file, and uploading to a web site. I have been doing this for years, but now can't.

K H.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Here is trick how to create public link till DB fix it.

Click on file in public folder, you want to share in public

Click on Share option Rt upper corner

Select create link in popup window - then select copy link.

Now paste this link, It will be something like this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/********/FileName?dl=0

Now delete " ?dl=0 " from end of link name you have copied and replace " https://www.dropbox.com " with " https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com "

So after this your link will be look like this

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/********/FileName

Now this is your public link and you can share it to users without having DB account.

Alastair G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

KH - very many thanks! This works, and while it is inconvenient it will do until DB get their act together.

Come on DB - can't be that difficult...

SEBASTIAN R.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I finished copying my files to a new host, good bye Drop Box, I'm dropping you and your box.

clay s.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I turned in a support ticket on 9/22 for this after a few days of it not working. We are over a week into this issue. I find it to be ridiculous its not fixed and most of all, the response I got from Dropbox. Here it is:

Thanks for reaching out about this! I've passed your report along to our engineering team who will endeavor to fix it.

As there is now a report with our engineering team, due to how our ticketing system works, we will need to close this support ticket. We will reach back out with any further information or questions.

We appreciate your patience in regards to this matter. In the meantime, please let us know if you any other questions or feedback.

This tells me nothing and not only am I frustrated....too many users are as well and DROPBOX...YOU NEED TO ADDRESS YOUR USERS BETTER ABOUT THIS!!!!

Jonathan N.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem.  I need this feature back NOW.  I've tried this from Chrome, Firefox, IE.  From at work and at home, and on mobile.  The feature is 100% broken.  Starting to migrate my stuff over to OneDrive right now.  This needs to be fixed within the week.

Dropbox's web interface has always been glitchy as he11, but this gets into the unprofessional range.  Especially as a paid user of their service.

Jonathan N.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

HK.  Unfortunately this does not allow for embedded images.  Only previewing on Dropbox's site.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Now this is your public link and you can share it to users without having DB account.

That's not a Public Link, but a Share Link, and they act slightly different. If you see your user number in the link such as /u/1234567 (as opposed to a randomly generated number) then it's a Public Link. If you see a random number in the link such as /s/0skuwdlhg6q4fol then it's a Share Link.

Share links open by default on the preview page but you have more control of them by changing the ?dl=0 at the end. A 0 will preview, a 1 will download, and ?raw=1 will present the file in its raw format (good for embedding images). See here and here for more info.

Share Links can also be created for any file or folder in your account, where Public Links can ONLY be created for files in the Public folder.

Unfortunately this does not allow for embedded images.  Only previewing on Dropbox's site.

Create a share link and change ?dl=0 to ?raw=1.

SEBASTIAN R.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@ clay s.

That's a copy paste formula, you obviously did it wrong.

When opening a ticket ask to NOT give you a copy paste formulae answer and explain why they can't be botehred to fix the issue after a week, you'll get the same answer as i did and get pissed off and move your files to a new host.

Which I strongly recommend.

Cameron M.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

How hard is it to fix this? You guys are a multi-million dollar business. I'm using mediafire instead until the fix is applied as it shouldn't be impossible to share a public link with my co-workers.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Oscar Y. New member | Level 2
    Mohammed L.1 Explorer | Level 3
    Stefanie Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?