cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop app is slow when starting up, and slows down the computer while doing so

Desktop app is slow when starting up, and slows down the computer while doing so

Quang N.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Why does it take so long to start up dropbox? While it's starting up, other programs are very slow, almost unresponsive. It takes over 20 minutes to show starting/syncing completed. I have 16gb ram, window 7. The start up speed is critical during such time as trying to use the computer to print items for meeting and it freezes up because dropbox is starting and you cannot even stop it from starting, of course there's the option of exiting.

40 Replies 40

d b.10
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Is there a way to just use Dropbox on-demand?  

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Fabio - this is a user supported forum. For a response you need to log a ticket at www.dropbox.com/support

DB - Use the Dropbox website:

www.dropbox.com/home

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dillan Z.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Here is my answer...It might not be correct but: It is making sure that everything that is important on your computer(photos, videos, etc.) are all backed up, so if you get something like ransomware, it is safe in sound in your dropbox.

Sandro R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same problem "too slow startup". Has anyone found a solution?

James R.34
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same issue here. 15-20 minutes before it finally starts syncing. Just says Dropbox is starting... I have a new Razer Blade, 16gb of ram, 512GB SSD and a quad core hyper threaded i7. So I have plenty of performance, but even with that dropbox is using about 25% of CPU and 25% of ram on start up for about 20 minutes. Kind of ridiculous this thread has been open for over a year and Dropbox has yet to respond.

James R.34
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

And I understand this is community forums... But come on, at least have a few Dropbox admins roaming on here to look for suggestions, feedback etc...

Michael M.99
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

What a mess.  Dropbox is at the end of its rope before its IPO.  Too much of nothing to offer.  40 Minutes and more for connection and syncing for a small business.

Aghay-e Aarashe-e Ferdousi.  You do something before your company is buried and remembered as a company that initially had something to offer. 

Michael M.99
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

We use only 1.4% of 1 Terra Bite Storage Capacity on your Data Warehouse.  I hate to think how your larger global clients suffer.  

Knock Knock.  Is there anybody out there.

Paul B.20
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Everyone out there.

I have been watching this post for a long time.

You will never get a response from Dropbox. So if you waiting for any, dont hold your breath.

Its been exceptionally poor from their side and you wont even get the time of day for any and all comments.

Luciano R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm having the same problem

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    dchassin Explorer | Level 4
    Zee New member | Level 2
    Ross_S Dropbox Staff
    scientist1962 New member | Level 2