cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Desktop app should self-check for Problems

Desktop app should self-check for Problems

CraigJConrad
Helpful | Level 6

There are two recurring types of issues that are left to the user to recognize as occurring.  However, these are both things that the Dropbox Desktop app should be able to see and alert the user:

1. When the Dropbox folder/file icons are not in use (when Dropbox's icon list gets pushed below the top 15 in the registry by things like OneDrive and Google Drive.
  2. When the Dropbox sync process isn't making progress.  Mine was stuck at thousands of files for a week or more before I happened to notice it in the tray.  As the number isn't progressing, it should be very easy for Dropbox to recognize that and bring it to the attention of the user.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @CraigJConrad, thanks for messaging the Community.

The sync overlay is related to the OS itself, and isn't something that the Dropbox desktop application can detect if there are any issues with the icons being displayed.

Syncing issues can also vary depending on the cause, so there isn't a method to resolve each matter, although this article should help in resolving the majority of issues.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

CraigJConrad
Helpful | Level 6

@Jay  Thank you for responding.

I thought that a Windows desktop app could read the registry. If I am correct, it could see if its entries are among the first so that it will be utilized. If I am wrong, of course, then it must be left to the user to recognize.

As to recognizing that the sync is "stuck", perhaps I misunderstand your response.  It is the Dropbox app that is tracking and displaying the pending file count.  How can it NOT know that the count of files (and data movement in general) has not changed in the past hour?  When I see "Syncing 1,234 files" (or whatever its similar message is) when I hover over the tray icon, isn't that message coming from Dropbox?  If that exact same message is still there a day later, why can't Dropbox app realize that it isn't progressing and then go into an alert state (changing its tray icon, sending an email, or something)?  When this last happened to me, I wasn't aware of it until 7 or 8 days had passed.

Thank you

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @CraigJConrad, we really appreciate your feedback here.

I will make sure to pass your comments along to our team about this.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?